MSYF27

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
Do 2 slotted gpu's cover the 2nd pcie x1 slot on the Mortar max b450m?
My build needs to have an expansion for usb 3.0.

Solution
I'd just get a board and a CPU that I didn't have to worry about the lane limitations while using M.2 if it was that important to me. That might mean waiting a while longer so that I can increase my budget, but that is something that is probably worth waiting for because it is never a good idea to start off on a new build by having to make concessions that run counter to what you TRULY want to get from the build.

I'm not sure why you think you NEED to install a USB add in card either. Why can't you just get a board that has an adequate number of USB ports from the start AND/OR simply add an external USB hub if you need more access for other external USB devices.

I understand being in Asia limits your options, depending on where in...

MSYF27

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
So why do you think you have to use that slot. Simply use the lower of the two x1 slots OR use the other non reinforced lower x16 slot. Any x1, x4, x8 or x16 slot will work fine.

Thanks! but im still hoping for someone who has the card and mobo can answer.
I meant the lower pcie x1 slot with saying "the 2nd pcie x1 slot".
This is just for reference so that i can min max my build options, because i cant use the lower x16 slot if i have something installed in the 2nd m.2 slot.
If a 2 slotted GPU cant give me clearance for the lower pciex1 and im forced to use the lower x16 i cant have a second m.2

You don't "need" somebody with that board and card to answer the question. The question isn't relevant to the board and card, it's relevant to the form factor and layout of the board and the number of standardized slot widths that the card is designated to use, which you say is a two slot card.

That means the x1 slot directly below the graphics card is going to be covered. The one below that should not be covered, but I would not recommend installing a card there because it is going to at least partially block and interfere with airflow to the graphics card and contribute additional heat directly into the airstream used by the graphics card for cooling.

You would be much better off installing any add in card further down in the second x16 slot, but if you prefer to use one of the x1 slots anyhow, the one that is two slots away from the graphics card should be uncovered and able to be used. Again, unless you are planning to install something else in that other x16 slot, I'd use that slot for your add in USB card. It will still only USE x1 lanes regardless of how many lanes the slot is capable of delivering, IF it is a x1 card.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

MSYF27

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
Then they may have to use the other x1 slot, IF that is the reason.

That is the reason for my inquiries.

Thanks for pointing out the clearance for the gpu's airflow, i totally forgot about that and have to take it into consideration. With that in mind I may consider the b450m asrock steel legend, although this gives me a different compromise.

MSYF27

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
What is the model of your case? Maybe, don't USE a micro ATX board if your case supports a full size ATX board. Instead use a full size ATX board that has a bit more clearance.

To give context I'm eyeing a mATX board because if I do opt for an ATX form factor, both the mobo and case would increase the estimate of the build by about $40 minimum. The availability of good but cheap cases in my area are significantly marked up and options are a headache. And wouldnt you agree that it would be more appropriate to put that $40 into more storage capacity so that I wouldnt worry about using the second next m.2 slot so that I can use the lower x16 slot.

If i do order them online the shipping for the case is as much as the case so thats a no go. So this is just me weighing pros and cons of the build.

For specifics here is the case im interested in:
1)Tecware Quad, micro atx
Online price : $20 | Included Shipping $40 | Price locally : $30

*I dont wanna put in a link because you might think the sight sketchy as i think this is only sold in asia. Sorry

I'd just get a board and a CPU that I didn't have to worry about the lane limitations while using M.2 if it was that important to me. That might mean waiting a while longer so that I can increase my budget, but that is something that is probably worth waiting for because it is never a good idea to start off on a new build by having to make concessions that run counter to what you TRULY want to get from the build.

I'm not sure why you think you NEED to install a USB add in card either. Why can't you just get a board that has an adequate number of USB ports from the start AND/OR simply add an external USB hub if you need more access for other external USB devices.

I understand being in Asia limits your options, depending on where in Asia you are, but it doesn't change the fact that good is good and not good is not good, that desirable doesn't change based on where you live, just because you live in a certain place. Sometimes if you want what you want and it's hard to get or more expensive, you simply have to bite the bullet a little harder to make that happen.

Solution

MSYF27

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019

I understand being in Asia limits your options, depending on where in Asia you are, but it doesn't change the fact that good is good and not good is not good, that desirable doesn't change based on where you live, just because you live in a certain place. Sometimes if you want what you want and it's hard to get or more expensive, you simply have to bite the bullet a little harder to make that happen.

Yeah, looking at my prospect of components as of late, it has been more on compromising rather than choosing what I immediately need. I've held off this build for a year already (having to wait for the ryzen 3000 series set of chips) it has stressed me out a lot and it has me overthinking things. But now I need this new build urgently for school because im currently using an A6-3500 apu unit.

The reason I was looking for USB expansion was because the Tomahawk Max(my first prospect for a mobo) only has 2 USB3 gen1 at the rear, and only recently I realized the Mortar max has 4 (which meets what I need).

Thank you for taking the time to reply and being patient with my inquiries. This is still relevant reference if ever I do need that expansion slot whether it would be for a USB expansion ( if i ever the ports die) , or other kinds of expansion cards. Especially the airflow which honestly didnt cross my mind until you pointed it out.

Cheers, happy holidays.

Yes, but the Tomahawk has two USB 3.2 Gen1 (Which is the same thing as USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1) ports, and one USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type A port (Can be used by any Type A device that is USB 2.0 through USB 3.2 Gen2 including also any standard USB 3.0 devices), a USB Type C port AND has internal headers so that you can have additional USB ports at the front of your case so long as you choose a case that has front USB ports. If you need more than that, a single four port USB hub that you can purchase for around 10-20 dollars should be more than enough to expand your USB options so that you can choose ANY motherboard you wish to use. I don't even see the Mortar as being available anywhere unless you are somewhere other than the US, then maybe.

MSYF27

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
Yes, but the Tomahawk has two USB 3.2 Gen1 (Which is the same thing as USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1) ports, and one USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type A port (Can be used by any Type A device that is USB 2.0 through USB 3.2 Gen2 including also any standard USB 3.0 devices), a USB Type C port AND has internal headers so that you can have additional USB ports at the front of your case so long as you choose a case that has front USB ports. If you need more than that, a single four port USB hub that you can purchase for around 10-20 dollars should be more than enough to expand your USB options so that you can choose ANY motherboard you wish to use. I don't even see the Mortar as being available anywhere unless you are somewhere other than the US, then maybe.

A follow up question if I may : Are front USB3.0 transfer rates better than they were before?
In any case a hub is an okay option for me as I do have multiple peripherals.

Luckily the Mortar max is available in my country in both local shelves and online retailers.

There are basically only USB 3.1 Gen 1 options for ports now as pretty much everybody has abandoned the use of the older USB 3.0 nomenclature and standards. I do not notice any difference in performance or throughput when using my front USB 3.0 ports on my case vs using those on the back directly from the motherboard. I've never noticed such a difference to be honest EXCEPT when a cheaper case was involved. Then it can be a factor because cheaper electronics including the cables going to the motherboard and the mini I/O board used for front panel connections can definitely be a factor much the same as using a cheap micro USB cable can affect phone charging rates. Same thing really.

MSYF27

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
There are basically only USB 3.1 Gen 1 options for ports now as pretty much everybody has abandoned the use of the older USB 3.0 nomenclature and standards. I do not notice any difference in performance or throughput when using my front USB 3.0 ports on my case vs using those on the back directly from the motherboard. I've never noticed such a difference to be honest EXCEPT when a cheaper case was involved. Then it can be a factor because cheaper electronics including the cables going to the motherboard and the mini I/O board used for front panel connections can definitely be a factor much the same as using a cheap micro USB cable can affect phone charging rates. Same thing really.

Makes sense about the cheap cases (especially about the tecware brand i'll be buying, hard to find reviews for brands only available in asia) that was why I never really considered the ports of the case I was going to buy for transferring files.

Upon checking the specs for the case it says "x1 Super speed USB 3.0" which is USB3.1 gen 1 if I'm correct?