Question MSI Motherboard CPU Red Light But Starts After A Reset.

Jul 20, 2019
The red CPU light on the motherboard lights up and the PC won't boot the first one or two times I start the PC on that day. After going to sleep for around 8 hours, for example, it'll take 2 tries to boot the system. Afterward, on the same day, it'll behave as expected and start-up in a matter of seconds. I'm running a Ryzen 3600 with the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC. My CPU temps on idle are around 40-50 Celsius, and I'm using the Noctua NH-L9i CPU fan, with the mounting kit. This could be up to the launch of Ryzen, but if there's a solution to this I would deeply appreciate it. Of course, if it's safe and is just one of the weirder quirks of PCs, that's okay too.

What is the difference between your shutting-down the computer before you go to bed for the night, and at other times during the day?

If you, as a part of normal shut-sown procedures, turn off the power switch on the rear of the PSU, don't. Leave that switch on, unless you are servicing the computer, or are moving the computer from one location to another.

Reactions: SombaChan
Jul 20, 2019
Yeah, my bad on the specs.
CPU: Ryzen 3600
Motherboard: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC (running 7B85v17, which is the latest bios)
Ram: 16gb Vengeance DDR4 3000
SSD/HDD: 1 x 1tb Western Digital HDD , 1 x 500gb Western Digital M.2 SSD
GPU: Reference 5700XT
PSU: Corsair 750x Gold
Chassis: Fractal Design Meshify C

As for differences in shutting the system down, I always shut it down via windows - click the home button, click the power button, click shutdown, wait for it to shutdown and then go.

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
What is the difference between your shutting-down the computer before you go to bed for the night, and at other times during the day?

If you, as a part of normal shut-sown procedures, turn off the power switch on the rear of the PSU, don't. Leave that switch on, unless you are servicing the computer, or are moving the computer from one location to another.
May I ask why that is important?
I ask because I'm having the same problem with my Asus ROG Strix 390-E and I7 8700k
Gpu: 1070
psu: seasonic 650w platinum

When I shut it down and NOT switching off the psu, then it's booting just fine, but when I'm fully shutting it down the next time I press the power button to boot the pc it's shutting down after a second, after another second (RED light on, red light = cpu according to manual) it boots up just fine.

Edit: I already opened a thread some time ago but I couldn't solve it: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/asus-z390-e-i7-8700k.3489651/

Last edited:
Reactions: SombaChan
Jul 20, 2019
Today, after coming home from work, it took 3 tries for the system to boot. Considering I've had the system for a total of 3 days, I can't help but think that isn't a coincidence. Jamdrelik, we are siblings in misfortune :c.

Reactions: jamdrelik

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
But the question is: is it harmful? if not I'm kinda fine with it - it's just stupid and barely anyone is even trying to help.

Maybe AllanGH is going to help us out, I still would like to know why it's only happening when turning the psu off