MSI Motherboard flashback problem

Grant_19

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
Hello, I have a Msi z170a flower gaming titanium edition motherboard. I just put the pc together and I now know that it doesn't support my processor(CPU). I've been trying to use the BIOS flashback ability but it doesn't seem to work. I put the correct file in the root of the usb, put the usb in the correct slot, and press the flashback button. It blinks 3 times then goes solid. I try to use another one but it doesn't even flash. I don't know what to do now. Please help if possible, or just a recommendation.

Solution
Just relying on my memory, but when it goes to solid light, that does not mean it started flashing? and you should wait till it ends?

Grant_19

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017

From my understanding it should be flashing or that's what the manual says at least, I'll wait tik see if the solid light goes away. How long should the process take

So my memory does fail me this time. How long flashing takes - about as long as it takes to copy 128 mb file from USB.
Are you sure you did:
>unzipped the downloaded BIOS file
>USB is formatted as FAT32
>changed name of unzipped file as manual says to msi.rom

HawkFest

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
I have the same problem with a X399 Carbon board. Everything was fine with the original BIOS (version 15), but since I need to RAID0 2x M.2 NVMe gum-sticks (2x Samsung 960 Pro), I had to update the BIOS. I downloaded the latest one (version 17): it booted fine into this new BIOS at 1st boot, but when I tried an XMP 2 profile it couldn't post­. So I then tried to reset the CMOS using the clear CMOS on the rear I/O panel (after powering off the computer, I pressed down the button for about 10 seconds, as per the manual), but it didn't work. From then on it boots up until debug code 36, then the post sequence is interrupted and the system tries to reboot (it restarts the post sequence) but stops at debug code 55 and freezes there (it doesn't complete the post sequence but stays at that debug code with the motherboard leds turned on). After this I tried to flashback the CMOS using the BIOS FLASHBACK+ button - and a valid Fat32 USB drive containing MSI.ROM at its root and nothing else -, but I get the same undocumented behavior. Even after waiting for about 10 minutes the light didn't turned off, though it stopped blinking after 3 blinks. Now I have a dead mobo in my hands and about 4K dollars of computer parts lying on the table...

Aug 8, 2019
If you have a file MSI.ROM.(3 numbers) in your 32 fat format pendrive, you must go to proprieties of this file and delete from its name this 3 numbers and a dot (so you ll have only MSI.ROM) it worked for me I hope I ve helped you