MSI motherboard, IGD only, no PEG... BIOS settings

Jun 3, 2018
Hi,

My MSI mobo's BIOS settings under "Integrated Graphics Devices Configuration", has a parameter called "Initiate Graphics Adaptor", that has a the value PEG. However, I do not (currently) have a discrete PCI Graphics Adaptor, and use the intel HD630 IGD only. Should the value of "Initiate Graphics Adaptor", be left to PEG (as there is none really). If it is set to PEG (instead of IGD), I get the Multi-monitor options. Setting it to IGD, removes the multi monitor option. However, I understand that the mobo's IGD is capable of supporting 2 monitors (connected via HDMI and VGA) simultaneously. What gives ?

TIA

Solution
I have found your answer! As I have a MSI motherboard, I looked at my manual as I was getting curious myself.

The "Initiate Graphic Adapter" is what graphics device the computer uses to boot. It set to "PEG" it will use the PCIe graphics card. If set to "IGD" if will use your integrated grahics. Since you have no PCIe graphics card it would be best to leave set to "IGD" for now.

The "IGD Multi-Monitor" is to allow the integrated or PCIe graphics card to allow multiple monitors. I believe this means it allows the motherboard to support both the integrated graphics and a PCIe graphics card to run monitors at the same time. As in your integrated graphics has one monitor while your PCIe based graphics have another. I have mine set to...
Without knowing exact model of motherboard I will have to speculate, but usually Multi monitor options in BIOS are for using both integrated and discrete GPU at same time, connecting monitors to both. If you just want to connect 2 monitors to integrated, it should not be needed to be enabled. Unless of course your motherboard model has it somehow different.

Jun 3, 2018

Thanks for the answer. The motherboard in question is MSI H310M-PRO-VH, and it uses MSI Click BIOS 5.

Jun 3, 2018
Thanks @DragoR. No worries. Not surprising about the Mobo docs and specs. It is the absolute bottom-of-the-rack entry-level Mobo. I will try adding the second monitor and see if the multi-monitor option appears under BIOS, even with IGD selected.

hunter_w7nuk

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
I have found your answer! As I have a MSI motherboard, I looked at my manual as I was getting curious myself.

The "Initiate Graphic Adapter" is what graphics device the computer uses to boot. It set to "PEG" it will use the PCIe graphics card. If set to "IGD" if will use your integrated grahics. Since you have no PCIe graphics card it would be best to leave set to "IGD" for now.

The "IGD Multi-Monitor" is to allow the integrated or PCIe graphics card to allow multiple monitors. I believe this means it allows the motherboard to support both the integrated graphics and a PCIe graphics card to run monitors at the same time. As in your integrated graphics has one monitor while your PCIe based graphics have another. I have mine set to allow the multi-monitor and it was handy as I used to to find why a game of mine crashed, even at the lowest settings. Turns out it was my graphics card overclock!

But these options are not of much use to you as you don't have a PCIe based graphics card. So no need to worry about what they are set to as long as you don't fiddle with them. Or call their mom bad names!

Solution