Question MSI motherboard long BIOS time before actually starting to boot Windows

_MiQ_

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
I have this MSI motherboard (MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX) and when I start the PC it could take up to 15-20 seconds before it actually starts the booting to windows. During this time, there's pretty much no display output (expect for short pulses of black screen that might contain the "_" character) and the VGA light from EZ Debug lights lights up couple of times during this period.

After that 15-20 seconds I see the Windows boot-up screen with MSI logo in it. Then everything works normally. I don't know if this is just a property of the motherboard or have I setup something incorrectly.

I have windows on a fast 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD and I have it on the first place in the BIOS boot order list. I also have one 250GB SATA SSD and 2x 1TB HDDs installed but they shouldn't affect the boot time since I already have the Windows drive on top of the list, at least I think so?

Is there something that I'm missing or is it just the motherboards feature to be slow? On other computers that I've had, (Office computer motherboards) they had a fast BIOS time (couple of seconds max).

I have windows on a fast 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD and I have it on the first place in the BIOS boot order list. I also have one 250GB SATA SSD and 2x 1TB HDDs installed but they shouldn't affect the boot time since I already have the Windows drive on top of the list, at least I think so?

I think you should disconnect all these drives first, then reboot the PC to see what happens, because one of them has problem, your PC will act like that. If the problem is not from these drives, then check the PC setting, like OC setting from cpu or RAM, etc.

Bebe1980

Commendable
Jul 3, 2019
Hmmm...

I have an MSI B460M PRO-VDH WIFI ... and I think when I first got it W10 started within a few seconds... I also have an 250GB NVMe M.2 SSD

It's now taking nearly 3 minutes... so something is wrong - I will try disconnecting the other drive and see what happens...

Bebe1980

Commendable
Jul 3, 2019
OK... I'm using Bootracer to measure the start up time...

After disconnecting my other HDD the time went down from about 176 seconds to 23 secs

I tried changing the SATA settings but mine works best on just ACHI ... I don't have Intel memory or anything so I presume the other options are only for that - Optane Genie etc.
BUT... when I first checked it was on Raid/Optane which may have been causing it to go around in circles.

Boot Up time is broken down to 8 secs for windows and 15 seconds to load the desktop

CPU Count= 8 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10100 CPU @ 3.60GHz (Rating = 9.0)
Total Memory = 15.9 Gb (Rating = 9.0)
Boot Drive= (SSD) WDC WDS250G2B0C-00PXH0 250 Gb SCSI
Random Drive Speed (Mb/s)= 516.13
BIOS= American Megatrends Inc. 1.20
Motherboard= B460M PRO-VDH WIFI (MS-7C83)

Plugged the other disk back in and it changed to 24 secs and seems stable for the moment and still on ACHI setting for SATA.

Not sure what else I should be checking but it's obviously much better now.

Kflowers81

Reputable
Dec 18, 2016
Maybe need to post a bit more info ...
Sorry should have done more research I found the answer on here. Seems that i got unlucky and got a board that wouldn't boot if i used all the usb ports on the motherboard. Thanks for the reply though!!! Sent it back to newegg have a new one on the way.