[SOLVED] MSI MPG 490z does not recognize Samsung 970 NVMe M.2 SSD as boot drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2021
I rebuilt my computer about 8 months ago with the following(I'm a novice when it comes to building PCs):

MB: MSI MPG z490M Gaming Edge motherboard
GPU: ASUS RTX 3060TI
CPU: Intel i7 10700K

I've recently purchased a SSD (Samsung V-NAND SSD 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2) and installed it. As I would like this to be my boot drive, I have had an extremely difficult time having my Motherboard recognize the M.2 as a boot drive. I've tried cloning my partitions, wiping my computer and basically anything else google / YouTube has offered and still no luck. I have 1 HHD 1TB which windows was installed on previously. I do have the Windows boot installed onto a USB and was hoping when I wiped my PC it would allow me to install it on the M.2 with no luck.

Anyone know what's going on? if you need more information let me know!

Thank you in advance

Solution
Top M2 slot is usable only wit 11th gen cpu because it's wired to the cpu. 10th gen cpu doesn't have PCI-e lanes for storage. With 10th gen cpu only M2_2 is usable.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z490M-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI/Specification
M2_1 slot
CPU support mode (From 11th Gen Intel® CPU only)- supports PCIe 4.0 x4/3.0 x4
Chipset support mode-supports PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s
Supports 2242/ 2260/ 2280/ 22110 storage devices

there chipset support. I thought that too.

rgd1101

Don't
Top M2 slot is usable only wit 11th gen cpu because it's wired to the cpu. 10th gen cpu doesn't have PCI-e lanes for storage. With 10th gen cpu only M2_2 is usable.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z490M-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI/Specification
M2_1 slot
CPU support mode (From 11th Gen Intel® CPU only)- supports PCIe 4.0 x4/3.0 x4
Chipset support mode-supports PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s
Supports 2242/ 2260/ 2280/ 22110 storage devices

there chipset support. I thought that too.

Solution
Jun 24, 2021
One MSI board that I worked on recently required a specific BIOS setting to be enabled before it would acknowledge NVMe drives....trying to recall what it is. Google helped me. :)
I went into a PC hardware store (Canada Computers) and their tech that does the installing of m2s stated that I should just install it into slot one. When the m2 is installed in slot one, I am able to store / download stuff on the drive, but the mobo bios doesn’t recognize it as a boot. If it only works with 11th gen, then why would my PC recognize it as a storage device?

Status
Not open for further replies.