Review MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Review: Affordable Basics

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2020
Sorry @zx128k - have to correct you again. (New readers: my system is described in post 147).

Here is screenshot from the running system right now.
(MOD: I pasted screenshot in here but it does not show up when I post. I am new at this - how can this be done? I see other posters include pictures all the time).

As can be seen, this is running a very intensive CPU load (more intensive than the workload in your screenshot). All-core OC @4.2 GHz. Stock cooler. Nothing fancy.

CPU temp = 71 degrees C

Obviously this temp could be even better with an expensive cooling setup, but that would defeat the desire for a budget system. AFAIK this is not a bad CPU temp given the conditions.

I would appreciate if you could state what is wrong with my HW choices and how you can improve it at a similar price point and feature set.

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
Sorry @zx128k - have to correct you again. (New readers: my system is described in post 147).

Here is screenshot from the running system right now.
(MOD: I pasted screenshot in here but it does not show up when I post. I am new at this - how can this be done? I see other posters include pictures all the time).

As can be seen, this is running a very intensive CPU load (more intensive than the workload in your screenshot). All-core OC @4.2 GHz. Stock cooler. Nothing fancy.

CPU temp = 71 degrees C

Obviously this temp could be even better with an expensive cooling setup, but that would defeat the desire for a budget system. AFAIK this is not a bad CPU temp given the conditions.

I would appreciate if you could state what is wrong with my HW choices and how you can improve it at a similar price point and feature set.

For a start the cpu temp. A stock a 3800x with 8 cores hits 71c in prime95 8k fft which is not as bad a some HEVC loads. This is with a full custom water cooling loop and 360 rad and full copper water block. Overclock to 4.4GHz (power still nowhere near a fully loaded 3900x) I will hit >80C with a full custom water cooling loop and 360 rad (60mm thick) and full copper water block. 6 push and pull fans. Prime95 8k fft.

But lets ignore that and the screenshots that show the 3900x can't be thermally stable at maximum load on the stock cooler with an overclock. The fact that the stock cooler is for a 105watts cpu and an overclock can reach >180watts full load without a problem. This is like stating the 9900k is fine at 5.1GHz on the stock cooler (I know the 9900k does not have a stock cooler).

Overclocking the 3900x needs a decent after market cooler. Even at stock settings you will get a higher boost clocks. The clocks will be reduced to protect the cpu as temp rise.

power2.png

As can be clearly seen in this table the power consumption just sky rockets as you overclock. The 3900x overclocked to 4.25GHz all core hits 313 watts total system power and most of that heat is going to hit the stock cooler which has a TDP of 105 watts.

To see what our chip could do, we manually cranked the core voltage up to 1.44v and shot for a modest 4.2GHz (42x100MHz) all-core overclock, which worked without incident. We then moved up to 4.3GHz, but had some instability under load, so we backed things down a bit and settled at 4.25GHz across all cores. At this speed, the chip was quickly saturating the Wraith Prism Cooler and operated in the mid 90-degree range when under sustained load, which flirted with the 95°C limit presented by Ryzen Master.
source This is just in cinebench r20.

Stock 3900x with stock cooler = 80c cinebench r20. 3850MHz all cores. PPT maxed out, TDC maxed out and EDC maxed out.

Resize

We also monitored power while overclocked and saw an 85 watt increase under-load, due to the higher clocks and voltages used to hit 4.25GHz. The jump in power while overclocking with PBO or the Auto-Overclock feature is smaller, though still significant. The chips may run relatively cool and quite in their stock configurations, but overclocking can change the equation quite a bit, so a quality cooler is a must-have.

So that is the first issue with your 4.2GHz all core overclock. Using the stock cooler for overclocking is just pain wrong. All the reviews state its not wise because the power consumption is too high. So you end up with higher constant core voltage and high temps which is why you risk degradation of your cpu.

This can be shown in this cinebench r20 run. Stock cooler and 4.25GHz overclock. 94.2C temps.

Resize

Last edited:

RTV-5

Reputable
Jul 7, 2019
Totally not a troll post right? 5 posts on this forum and you are attacking people personally. Singling them out so to speak. It's like you created the account to do so, like everyone creates an account other than their main for the moment they want to s##t post or troll. Missed my posts above did you, were I pointed to the part in the hardware unboxed video they state the board is okay if you have decent air flow. The IR pictures from the manufacture that show the same.
Well, no, I've had an account for a long time but my email address changed and I forgot my password so I had to set up a new account. I didn't set up this account to persoanlly attack anyone. I'm just responding to what I read from this author. I'm not really the kind of person who just goes out looking for a fight but I did feel compelled to call him out on this. As for attacking him personally? Have you read the review? You should.

I will say this though, sure, if you don't know what this post is in refrence to it might appear to be harsh. I can understand that. When its all said and done and it is in my book, Cashman did something that I totally didn't expect and made a public apology and I have a ----ton of respect for the courage and humility that it took to do so. Where once I thought the guy was a total ---, and he may still be, as am I, what he did to correct the situation is "stand up and be counted". So just for the record, unless he does something to change my opinion I think he's doing just fine and I have immense respect for him on how he's conducted himself. At this point in my book, Cashman is no worse than any one of us may have been in the past. He's taken the high road and apologized and thats more than I can say for many other people; I can't language how impressed I am of him for having done that as most people can't even contemplate doing something like that.

MOD EDIT: Watch your language

Last edited by a moderator:

dfg555

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2013
Imagine bashing VRMs when the concept of "airflow" doesn't exist in your head.

Yikes.

Literal cringe fanboys brigading from HU.

Oh sorry, my bad. I forgot HU fanboys run small FTTs and AVX instructions non-stop on their setups to stroke their VRM-egos. I forgot you guys aren't the "average joe" but the "edgy" mature adults who "know" what they're doing.

My bad.

zx128k

Reputable
Indeed and now we have to take part in an eulogy for Cashman, "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy." RTV-5 is really chewing the scenery something fierce with that statement.

We got bans because we broke the forums rules which is why the mod is giving people warnings. Can't complain about the ban stick if you ignored the nice warnings.

Adam Landsberg

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Just reset my password to login and moan at how crappy toms is for lying about tge x570 msi board. Clearly a problem and tims defends msi for nothing. Well maybe toms is not the great site and helpful place it once was. And i hate that you could not even give a proper reply to steve he is a good bloke. Well good by classic internet hardware website. I rate you have made a good few people angry with you shallow reaponse to steve.

zx128k

Reputable
Just reset my password to login and moan at how crappy toms is for lying about tge x570 msi board. Clearly a problem and tims defends msi for nothing. Well maybe toms is not the great site and helpful place it once was. And i hate that you could not even give a proper reply to steve he is a good bloke. Well good by classic internet hardware website. I rate you have made a good few people angry with you shallow reaponse to steve.

Faux outrage. Point out the lying ..... and example please.

Reactions: Crashman

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Faux outrage. Point out the lying ..... and example please.
I hope this answers a few of the outstanding questions and resolves some of the concerns from the last go, and much appreciate everyone's feedback on this.

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/retesting-msi-mpg-x570-plus

It turned out the difference between the results of other sites and ours can be attributed to their decision to use a "worst case scenario" testbed, while ours was intentionally designed to replicate the performance of a typical build.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: zx128k
Status
Not open for further replies.