[SOLVED] MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus vs Asus TUF-Gaming X570 Plus (WI-FI)

rajeshja

Prominent
May 29, 2019
I see that the Asus TUF-Gaming X570 Plus (WI-FI) has better reviews than the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus but in a case with enough fans and decent airflow, is the former worth the extra 16% in cost?

MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS - ₹ 17,220

Asus TUF-GAMING X570 PLUS (WI-FI) - ₹ 20,125

My friend is looking at the DeepCool CL500 case (6 120mm fan slots) and will upgrade to a Ryzen 5000 processor at some point in the future, alongside an RTX 3060 (or similar) GPU.

What reasons should he be considering to pick between the two cards?

Solution
If for nothing else, the Tuf Gaming Plus could be worth it if you need the WiFi. If you don't, then you're paying for something you don't need.

I also don't like MSI's low-end of X570 boards as they tend to have pretty weak VRM's for the money you pay.

rajeshja

Prominent
May 29, 2019
If for nothing else, the Tuf Gaming Plus could be worth it if you need the WiFi. If you don't, then you're paying for something you don't need.

I also don't like MSI's low-end of X570 boards as they tend to have pretty weak VRM's for the money you pay.

Thanks. I do believe the WI-FI is optional.

About the VRMs, with what kind of setup is that a concern? Only 39XX series or even 37XX? Does GPU matter?

Thanks. I do believe the WI-FI is optional.

About the VRMs, with what kind of setup is that a concern? Only 39XX series or even 37XX? Does GPU matter?
GPU doesn't really matter. The VRM will obviously be of great concern with 3900X or 3950X but many complain about VRM thermals on MSI X570 boards even with 8 core CPU's (3700x/3800x) when running heavy all-core workloads.

In the end, it's more about value. Being X570 MSI is still charging a premium for boards with VRM's no better than many B450 boards. X570 actually has very little performance benefit, it's only differentiator is more PCIe lanes than B450 or B550. Oh, and being Ryzen 5000 capable but so is B550 which also has PCIe gen4 for the GPU and NVME.

If you have the option I'd look at B550 if you don't have a serious need for the PCIe lanes; that means a bunch of high bandwidth expansion cards. There are a lot of really B550 boards at decent prices.

rajeshja

Prominent
May 29, 2019
GPU doesn't really matter. The VRM will obviously be of great concern with 3900X or 3950X but many complain about VRM thermals on MSI X570 boards even with 8 core CPU's (3700x/3800x) when running heavy all-core workloads.

In the end, it's more about value. Being X570 MSI is still charging a premium for boards with VRM's no better than many B450 boards. X570 actually has very little performance benefit, it's only differentiator is more PCIe lanes than B450 or B550. Oh, and being Ryzen 5000 capable but so is B550 which also has PCIe gen4 for the GPU and NVME.

If you have the option I'd look at B550 if you don't have a serious need for the PCIe lanes; that means a bunch of high bandwidth expansion cards. There are a lot of really B550 boards at decent prices.

The reason for going with an X570 is that he's starting with a Ryzen 3400G, so that he can take his time upgrading to an RTX 3000 series card in the future and a Ryzen 5000 series processor.
Doesn't the X570 also have all PCIE 4 lanes compared to the partial support in the B550?

The reason for going with an X570 is that he's starting with a Ryzen 3400G, so that he can take his time upgrading to an RTX 3000 series card in the future and a Ryzen 5000 series processor.
Doesn't the X570 also have all PCIE 4 lanes compared to the partial support in the B550?
Any board has a VRM that will handle a 3400G; but nobody knows much at all about Ryzen 5000. The issue is still about value in my mind anyway: the lower-ended MSI boards are priced too high for the VRM they have.

PCIe gen 4 has proven to be way overblown. It's only possible value is to NVME drives as GPU simply don't need it...recent tests with both AMD GPU's and Nvidia 3000 series GPU's have demonstrated it. They still don't even saturate PCIe gen 2 enough for it to make a significant impact when going to gen 3.

But even NVME drives only benefit with sustained sequential reads and Windows just doesn't work that way. It's access times for random reads that benefits Windows and Windows apps as it loads up bits of code scattered all over a drive and most any SSD provides for that.

So even if you get a gen 4 gpu and a gen 4 nvme it's very limited benefit and B550 supports that. What else could you possibly need to run that would use gen 4?