[SOLVED] MSI mpg z390 gaming carbon pro AIO?

therick04pp

Reputable
Jan 18, 2018
So I just built my MSI z390 mpg GC pro and installed an msi coreliquid aio. i7 9700k (msi gameboosted to 4.7). Idle temps are at 40-43. My son, who has the same setup (mobo, cpu and corsair equivelant aio) , sits around 32 at idle with a gameboost 4.8 oc (same fan count, same basic case design), So I just want to make sure I connected everything to the mobo correctly. Does the rad pump power connector, go to the "pump fan" header or "cpu fan" header? And where do I plug in the radiator fans? Something seems off. At idle, my kids pump shows it running at 2200 or so. My (whichever it is) shows my idle at 1300 ish. If it's my actual pump rpm, and I try and change the "smart fan" in msi to get it around the same idle rpm, Gameboost automatically disables.

Once the fist question is answered, I can figure out if I'm hooked up correctly and go from there. Dragoncenter is a whole other thread.. haha.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

You also need to state which version of MSI's AIO you own. Given how you're stating that your son has the same setup, better post two specs lists. You might want to also take a look at the BIOS version for both setups.

As for your CPU fans question, the pump has a daisy chain that accepts the fans running off the radiator. The board you have should have a fan populating the CPU_FAN header, I'm assuming that it's what you should populate so the board doesn't think you have no fans connected to the system.

Lutfij

Titan
Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

You also need to state which version of MSI's AIO you own. Given how you're stating that your son has the same setup, better post two specs lists. You might want to also take a look at the BIOS version for both setups.

As for your CPU fans question, the pump has a daisy chain that accepts the fans running off the radiator. The board you have should have a fan populating the CPU_FAN header, I'm assuming that it's what you should populate so the board doesn't think you have no fans connected to the system.

Reactions: therick04pp
Solution

therick04pp

Reputable
Jan 18, 2018
Thanks for responding, but I got it sorted and temps are down about 5-7 degrees. I had the radiator pump in "Sys fan 1" and the radiator fans plugged into "Pump fan". Turns out the rad fans need to be plugged into "CPU fan" and the pump into "Pump fan". I'll peruse the MSI forums for why making changes to the fan curves, declocks the cpu, but im sure it is acting as designed so boneheads cant damage anything. Lol, thanks again.