Review MSI MPG Z690 Edge WIFI DDR4 Motherboard Review: Affordable Enthusiast Bliss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not affordable to $300 doubly no at £410.

I believe it's more in the context of a Z690 board with this kind of power design and features. I actually bought this exact board, because I wanted a good board for a 12900k build, that would be fine for overclocking.

My only complaints with this board, or the "hard" mounted wifi antennas. They are cheap in my opinion. My several boards that have included wifi have had the "remote" magnetic antennas. This is a much nicer solution in my opinion. Next this board, (in fairness most boards do) supplies tons of voltage to the CPU by default. While it's doing it for stability, I was able to drop over 20 C by under-volting my 12900k, didn't drop any of my benchmark scores, clock speeds, or impact stability.

D

Deleted member 2783327

A$429. Definitely wasn't worth the money :(

This board's ALC 4080 still has issues, which MSI refuse to acknowledge.

I purchased one of these and I could not get the startup sound to play. The issue is during boot (BEFORE Windows starts to load), the Audio hardware is not detected. Windows detects and initializes the hardware about 20 seconds after the OS has booted.

Generally there is a "popping" type sound when Audio hardware is detected as the PC Starts to boot. That is missing with this boards ALC4080. I put the motherboard in a different PC and experienced the same thing.

I returned the board, replaced it with an ASRock Z690 Extreme WiFi with ALC1220 and there were no issues.

MSI Only make Z690 motherboard with ALC897 or ALC4080.

Another issue with ALC4080 while I'm on the subject is that you cannot install the Realtek HD Audio Manager with it.

Tom Sunday

Reputable
Jul 24, 2020
Greetings from Stehekin, WA! The MSI MPG Edge WIFI DDR4…a feature-rich Z690 board without paying flagship prices? At $300 it’s still much too pricy for me (or even my local friends and others) at this point in time and with the new tech-generation virtually looming on our doorstep. Thus there will probably be already in the works major (30%-40%) price drops or last minute sales enticements by the likes of Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, etc for all sorts of present generation hardware? Naturally all driven as well by the mere fact of the still rising fuel prices at the pumps. Surely that is where my little money has been going and disappearing! Nothing left over now for the pure luxury of upgrading or new PC hardware acquisitions. At the end of the latest computer show at the Grange in Wenatchee they were setting-up for a gun show. My buddy said that he was thinking about buying a gun for self-protection instead of a new SSD if he had the cash! Where has this world come too?

A$429. Definitely wasn't worth the money :(

This board's ALC 4080 still has issues, which MSI refuse to acknowledge.

I purchased one of these and I could not get the startup sound to play. The issue is during boot (BEFORE Windows starts to load), the Audio hardware is not detected. Windows detects and initializes the hardware about 20 seconds after the OS has booted.

Generally there is a "popping" type sound when Audio hardware is detected as the PC Starts to boot. That is missing with this boards ALC4080. I put the motherboard in a different PC and experienced the same thing.

I returned the board, replaced it with an ASRock Z690 Extreme WiFi with ALC1220 and there were no issues.

MSI Only make Z690 motherboard with ALC897 or ALC4080.

Another issue with ALC4080 while I'm on the subject is that you cannot install the Realtek HD Audio Manager with it.

Yes, pricey.
I do also have the Extreme Wifi and runs awesome, only cost me 250$ which was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.