Question MSI MS-7641 ver 3.0 no display

iam480p

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
Hi. A friend gave me an old PC. Problem is, when I turn it on, there's no display. There's no beep codes also. All fans are working, HDD is spinning, PSU is spinning, CPU fan is spinning. I've tried the following potential fixes such as:
•Reinstalling the CMOS battery.
•Swapping out the hard drives and its SATA cables.
•Swapping the power supply.
•Replacing the RAM and also trying out each slot (Removing it causes the error code for missing memory.)
•Reseating the CPU.
•Booting it up with a GPU installed.

Motherboard: MSI MS-7641 ver 3.0 760GM-P23 (FX)

jason201

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
Two things:

1. In order to properly reset the CMOS settings, you have to firstly unplug the power cord, remove the battery, put the power cord back in, power up the computer, then, power it off again, disconnect the cord once again, and return the battery into place (in the same position it was in previously, which is with the plus sign facing the outwards in most cases). If this doesn't make a difference, you could try leaving the battery out for a longer period of time (such as 2-3 hours)

2. When you've tried a different PSU, have you connected the CPU power too? (4/8 PIN near the socket)? Not doing this would defintely cause a black screen!

iam480p

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
Have you tried a different monitor cable and/or a different monitor?

Post your full system specs including PSU manufacturer and series.

No, I haven't tried another monitor since I know it's working perfectly fine. I connected my laptop to the monitor before the PC and it works fine.

CPU: AMD fx (don't exactly know what the processor is because I can't turn it on and my friend doesn't have the box of it.)
HDD: WD 500GB
PSU: POWERLOGIC 500W (before the swap) Cougar 500W 80+ Bronze (after the swap)
RAM: Kingston DDR3 (before) Hyper X 8gb DDR3 (after)
GPU: Sapphire R7 240

iam480p

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
Two things:

1. In order to properly reset the CMOS settings, you have to firstly unplug the power cord, remove the battery, put the power cord back in, power up the computer, then, power it off again, disconnect the cord once again, and return the battery into place (in the same position it was in previously, which is with the plus sign facing the outwards in most cases). If this doesn't make a difference, you could try leaving the battery out for a longer period of time (such as 2-3 hours)

2. When you've tried a different PSU, have you connected the CPU power too? (4/8 PIN near the socket)? Not doing this would defintely cause a black screen!

I'll try your suggestion later and update once I'm finished. Thanks. As for #2, yes I did connect the CPU power. It's a 4 PIN btw.

Feb 6, 2022
Two things:

It's simpler to just use the clear CMOS jumper JBAT-1 near the buzzer and battery.