msi ms-7778 upgrade for IOMMU/Intel VT-D/AMD-Vi support

jreeves

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
greetings.
I have a slightly older HP desktop which currently has an msi ms-7778 motherboard. I need to upgrade it to something which supports IOMMU, either Intel VTD or AMD-Vi. Currently my A8 5500 only supports AMD-V and the motherboard itself does not have adequate chipset to support the IOMMU technology.
Can anyone make a suitable recommendation for inexpensive but decent motherboard which will fit?
PC is a HP p7-1534PC desktop

IOMMU is Intel's name for VT-x (virtual memory & execution) and VT-d (virtual PCIe addressing for peripherals). Microsoft does not support VT-d for cloud clusters in that it prevents fail-over and fail-back for virtual machines. It's mostly for servers and very herky work stations and platform test environments. What exactly are you trying to emulate?

jreeves

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017

I have a home cloud server running Xen Hypervisor using paravirtualized vm's. I recently had an attacker escalate out of the PVM environment. I would like to migrate to HVM's so that this does not happen again, but my hardware does not support the necessary IOMMU. If I need to migrate to rack hardware, then so be it, but I would prefer to just keep working with what I have to save money (I am a uni student, not working) and simply upgrade the motherboard and processor to one that supports the necessary features.

Update: Ive been pricing some rack-mounted servers and have found a suitable one for $280. I would enjoy hearing your input if you think it would be more cost-effective to simply upgrade the motherboard and CPU in my exising rig