MSI Mystic Light won't detect/change the color of the RING LED (AMD Wraith Prism CPU Cooler)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2018
Hello all,

Recently, I asked a IT shop to built a PC for me with MSI B450 Tomahawk and Ryzen 7 2700X with AMD very own stock cooler and other components. I installed all the necessary drivers/updates. I went to install the MSI Mystic Light utility from the MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard website itself.

After I have installed, used the Mystic Light and tried to change the colors to static animation with purple color, the LED from the RING of CPU Cooler doesn't affect or change. It still stucks in a rainbow animation setting and it won't go away. I tried to restart the program and change or reinstalled the utility, it doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas on how to tackle this?

Thanks!

/Vinnie

Solution
For controlling the CPU cooler LEDs, there are 2x options:
1. USB 2.0 cable from CPU cooler to MoBo (controlled by Cooler Master software, LINK).
2. RGB cable from CPU cooler to MoBo RGB header (controlled by MSI Mystic Light software).

Install the Cooler Master software and look if you can control your CPU cooler LEDs. If you can, your CPU cooler is wired according to the 1st method. For your need, you'll need the wiring be as 2nd method is. You just need to unplug the USB 2.0 cable from MoBo and connect the RGB cable to your MoBo header.
If you don't have that RGB cable, call your IT shop since Wraith Prism cooler comes with both cables and they might have kept the excess cables for themselves (it has happened to me once and...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
For controlling the CPU cooler LEDs, there are 2x options:
1. USB 2.0 cable from CPU cooler to MoBo (controlled by Cooler Master software, LINK).
2. RGB cable from CPU cooler to MoBo RGB header (controlled by MSI Mystic Light software).

Install the Cooler Master software and look if you can control your CPU cooler LEDs. If you can, your CPU cooler is wired according to the 1st method. For your need, you'll need the wiring be as 2nd method is. You just need to unplug the USB 2.0 cable from MoBo and connect the RGB cable to your MoBo header.
If you don't have that RGB cable, call your IT shop since Wraith Prism cooler comes with both cables and they might have kept the excess cables for themselves (it has happened to me once and due to that i won't let anybody else to build a PC for me anymore).

Solution
Sep 21, 2018

Hello! Thanks for your solution! I have plugged in the USB 2.0 cable from CPU cooler to MoBo, unplugged the RGB cable, use the Cooler Master software with MSI Mystic Light and it worked.

I will recommend my friends who are using the Prism Cooler to use USB 2.0 Cable. Thanks for your help sir!

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
I am digging this thread up as I am facing the same problem.
My Ryzen 2700 fan comes with 2 connectors, one for the fan and one RGB, I plugged both, the red ring lights up but it's not detected by MSI Mystic Light nor cooler Master app

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Your MoBo is what?

Also, have you tried connecting only USB cable, without connecting cable to MoBo RGB header?

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016

My mobo is a MSI B450M Gaming Plus
The CPU fan came with a traditional cable coming out from it and a second cable which has to be plugged in the fan, the 1st one I plugged into the mobo cpu fan socket and the second cable into the JRGB2 (it's closer to the cpu than JRBG1)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Your MoBo does not support MSI Mystic Light and you can't use that software to control your CPU cooler LED. Instead, you need to use MSI Gaming App software since that software controls the JRGB2 and JRGB2 headers on your MoBo.

Also, as i said above, AMD Wraith Prism CPU cooler comes with 2x cables for it's RGB,
image:
1526336519q6h2ops8tr_2_5_l.jpg

So, if you want to use Cooler Master software to control the LED, you will need to connect the USB cable from CPU cooler to your MoBo.

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016

The B450M Gaming plus has mystic light, I am already using it for the mobo colors and Geforce.
Also it's listed when picking Do you prefer to have onboard Mystic Light Extension(4-pin / 12V) header?
https://www.msi.com/Landing/mystic-light-motherboard

I have the 2700 without x, the fan is different

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Here are your MoBo official specs,
link: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-GAMING-PLUS

On that page, care to point out where it is stated that your MoBo has MSI Mystic Light feature and/or your MoBo does support MSI Mystic Light?

Even your MoBo manual doesn't say your MoBo supports MSI Mystic Light. On page 16, there is only stated:
JRGB1, JRGB2: RGB LED Connectors
The JRGB1/JRGB2 connector allows you to connect the 5050 RGB LED strips 12V.

* Please use MSI’s software to control the extended LED strip.
Only single reference about Mystic Light in your MoBo manual is at the included software section, where Mystic Light software is included with the MoBo DVD. Also, your MSI B450M Gaming Plus MoBo doesn't have RGB LEDs on it, where you could use MSI Mystic Light software for "MoBo colors".

What your MoBo has, is standard 4-pin RGB header (two of them) and why MSI calls those as:"Mystic Light Extension" on the Mystic Light page, that i do not know. Like i said above, you'll need MSI Gaming App to control your MoBo RGB headers.

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016

Silly me!
No mystic leds on the bard but...to control the led colors and pulses of the cpu fan I have to choose Mobo in mystic light! Go figures why it's not CPU. So the 2 leds I saw on the mobo map in the app were the JRGB sockets and which colors + pulse mode they will give to any compatible device.
So yes I can now change the ring of the cpu fan to anything I want, it looks really cool, I will buy an Aerocool rgb fan 120mm for my case to complete the coolness

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Glad to hear that you got your issue resolved.

If you want to see something truly cool, look towards my Skylake build,
full specs with pics: https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/b/bd9J7P

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016

Thanks
I received an RGB fan 120mm for my case today, I will plug it to JRBG2 socket and try mystic light with it.
My case is nice but it could be more ''alive'' if I add this useful fan

jjay03

Reputable
Jan 25, 2019
I have the wraith prism cooler that came with my 2700x and a MSI x470 Gaming Pro carbon mobo. Your saying to be able to control the outer ring color I need to unhook the rgb cable? I currently have the usb and rgb hooked up. On the AMD website it says> If you have one of these pre-installed Wraith Max coolers that use USB-based RGB control, you can download the RGB illumination control utility for AMD Wraith Max cooler from CoolerMaster . This utility will *not* work on boxed Wraith Max coolers purchased at retail, which require motherboard software support for RGB control.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Like i said in my 1st reply, there are 2x methods to control Wraith Max or Wraith Prism LEDs:
1) USB 2.0 cable from CPU cooler to MoBo (controlled by Cooler Master software, (LINK).

2) RGB cable from CPU cooler to MoBo RGB header (controlled by MSI Mystic Light software).

Use only one of them, not both of them at the same time.

jjay03

Reputable
Jan 25, 2019
I read that in the first post but I was asking if the mobo can control the outer ring. I asked MSI and they said it does not and that you will need the coolermaster software. Guess I will be running the usb instead of the rgb.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Can't help you with that one since i don't have in-depth knowledge about Cooler Master RGB software. Contact Cooler Master about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.