MSI Offers 2 GB Radeon HD 7750 Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

moffinator

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
This is aimed at people that do not know much about graphics cards and think that a 2Gb frame buffer card must be better then 1gb cause the number is bigger. The 2gb version sounds like it is using DDR3 where as the 1Gb is GDDDR5 so this should lose a good chunk of performance and probably wont ever use more then 1Gb anyway

JJ1217

Honorable
I didn't think the 7750 was even good enough to run games to even use the 2GB frame buffer, not even Battlefield 3 hits 1.5GB on most games at full settings, and this card wouldn't even get close to running that.

FullBurstMode

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Last I checked the 7750 failed to match the performance of the last gen 6850 (by a lot)
Last I checked tomshardware showed that the difference between the 2GB and 1GB versions of the more powerful 6950 was non-existent in most tested situations.

guru_urug

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Theres a difference when extra memory will have no added advantage and this case in which the card with more memory will actually be a disadvantage because of the lower memory speeds. Noobs who still buy cards wrt memory size are being targeted here.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]JJ1217[/nom]I didn't think the 7750 was even good enough to run games to even use the 2GB frame buffer, not even Battlefield 3 hits 1.5GB on most games at full settings, and this card wouldn't even get close to running that.[/citation]
Was thinking the same. Big memory is wasted on low end cards since they dont pack a punch to run resolutions that require that much memory.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
question.

texture memory is stored on gpu or in ram?

now, my brothers comptuer when i maxed texture sizes on a 4850 in some games creates an ungodly ammount of mouse lag, but the same settings for everything else, but less texture sizes, mouse lag goes away.

if thats the case, this card is fast enough to max most games at 1920x1200, with reduced lighting details. texture size could be maxed at this point and over all make the games look better.

farensabri

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
i think the 2gb works better for crossfire setup (although less likely people would get a dual 7750, a single 7870 should be better instead).

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]question.texture memory is stored on gpu or in ram?now, my brothers comptuer when i maxed texture sizes on a 4850 in some games creates an ungodly ammount of mouse lag, but the same settings for everything else, but less texture sizes, mouse lag goes away.if thats the case, this card is fast enough to max most games at 1920x1200, with reduced lighting details. texture size could be maxed at this point and over all make the games look better.[/citation]

VRAM. It's possible to run out of VRAM and have the game start caching to system memory (which is slow in comparison to VRAM) or to the hard drive. Caching to the hard drive is extremely bad.

If it is GDDR3 then it will be to weak even compared to older cards but even at a low ress by today's standards it is very easy to use up 2gb of vram depending on the title. Doubtful that it could handle multiboxing more than 5 or 6 wow clients.

[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]If it is GDDR3 then it will be to weak even compared to older cards but even at a low ress by today's standards it is very easy to use up 2gb of vram depending on the title. Doubtful that it could handle multiboxing more than 5 or 6 wow clients.[/citation]

It is highly unlikely that this will be a GDDR3 version. If anything, it's probably DDR3, not GDDR3. GDDR3 generally in't used anymore.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
This is just one of those cards to make money. The extra Gb of Ram probably costs them $5 but they'll sell the card for a $50 premium to those that don't know.

Betcha it ends up on on Best-Buy's shelves with their employees peddling it as the next greatest thing.

[citation][nom]ko888[/nom]No guessing required. MSI's model number for the card, R7750-PMD2GD3, tells you that it's 2048MB GDDR3.[/citation]

No, it doesn't. The G could simply be for Giga with the B truncated. It's probably DDR3, not GDDR3.

[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]4500mhz---->1600mhz.Are you sure?[/citation]
It's inaccurate terminology. The memory clock for the original 7750 was 1125 MHz, as you can see in the original review:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7770-7750-benchmark,3135.html

However, GDDR5 @ 1125 MHz provides 1125 x 4 = 4500 MT/s. The DDR3 in the new 2 GB card is running at 800 MHz and provides a mere 800 x 2 = 1600 MT/s. That's a huge downgrade, and that's why DDR3 is such a kick in the groin for graphics cards.

[citation][nom]ko888[/nom]Why don't you go right to the source?http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R77 [...] cification[/citation]

Why didn't you just post that in the first place? Still, I find it difficult to believe. We'll have to wait and see real samples that show the memory ICs for true clarification. Using GDDR3 (a variant of DDR2) just doesn't make much sense with the modern alternative of DDR3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS