[SOLVED] MSI Optix MAG241C Freesync, gsync compatible?

axilgwapo

Prominent
Jun 5, 2017
I just bought MSI Optix MAG241C 24" Freesync to pair up with my MSI Ventus RTX 2060, MSI said that it's GSYNC compatible but I am experiencing some flickers while gaming

https://www.pcgamer.com/msi-claims-these-16-freesync-monitors-are-g-sync-compatible/

Solution
As far as I can tell, the MAG241C is only "GSync compatible" according to MSI themselves.
I don't believe MSI have shared the scope of their testing.

According to Nvidia, the compatibility verification is:
G-Sync compatible testing validates that the monitor does not show blanking, pulsing, flickering, ghosting or other artifacts during VRR gaming. They also validate that the monitor can operate in VRR at any game frame rate by supporting a VRR range of at least 2.4:1 (e.g. 60Hz-144Hz), and offer the gamer a seamless experience by enabling VRR by default,

What kind of frame rate are you running when you're seeing flickering? You may be limited to a higher minimum FPS range (ala FreeSync) with GSync.

The Freesync range of...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
As far as I can tell, the MAG241C is only "GSync compatible" according to MSI themselves.
I don't believe MSI have shared the scope of their testing.

According to Nvidia, the compatibility verification is:
G-Sync compatible testing validates that the monitor does not show blanking, pulsing, flickering, ghosting or other artifacts during VRR gaming. They also validate that the monitor can operate in VRR at any game frame rate by supporting a VRR range of at least 2.4:1 (e.g. 60Hz-144Hz), and offer the gamer a seamless experience by enabling VRR by default,

What kind of frame rate are you running when you're seeing flickering? You may be limited to a higher minimum FPS range (ala FreeSync) with GSync.

The Freesync range of that monitor is 48-144Hz, so that may come over to GSync. If you're seeing dips <48FPS, that could be problematic.

Solution

axilgwapo

Prominent
Jun 5, 2017

Hi good day, I experience flickering when I'm at the game's menu (but only for a short period of time) and fps is lower than 55, most of the time I have high fps (I currently game with rtx2060 i7-8600) so there's no flicker while the game is on going. I have read these on a reddit page and applied:

"Using CRU to set 57-144 Hz seems to have fixed it. LFC is kicking in appropriately at 40-60 Hz and top end refresh is capped at 143 Hz (143.9 rounded down or something)."

"So far no issues in the pendulum demo.
Fixed by changing pixel clock
I noticed everyone elses was at 571.39"

Here's the reddit thread for freesync monitors
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ag4ozl/_/ee3sjpd/?context=1