MSI Optix MAG24C Gaming Monitor Review: Premium Contrast at a Budget Price

Mark Broker

Reputable
Jan 11, 2015
I had to RMA two of the QHD monitors. First one didn't POST the day after I received it. The second one entered some sort of diagnostics mode instead of sleep after about three weeks of use (the MSI service rep I spoke to said that issue had never been reported before). I went with a Samsung instead of trying my luck with a third.

darth_adversor

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
This may not be the best place to ask this question, but this monitor checks all the boxes for me and I'm seriously considering picking one up.

Is it possible to run this through a home theater receiver (via HDMI for audio), but still utilize the display port? I realize that's an unusual setup, but I've got a spare receiver and set of speakers, and at this point, I don't think I could go back to computer speakers.

Schaden81

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
I've been using for for about 2 months now, and I find it fantastic. I have it paired with an RX470 4Gb, so for most most of the game I play I'm in the 70-100fps range. It works perfectly and I don't see any hint of ghosting.
One issue I do have, and I may get an exchange unit unless I just learn to live with it, is the panel isn't perfectly level, it slopes down to the left, with about 1/4" difference edge to edge.

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
I own the MAG241C, which I think is very similar to the MAG24C. (They have all the same specs - just a different stand, and the MAG241C has USB ports.) I find the OSD to be extremely useful and convenient. Some presets are better for watching dark movies with subtle details, for example, while other presets are better for word processing. The ability to switch quickly among presets is very convenient and helpful.

BaRoMeTrIc

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017

Just run your 1/8" jack through your receiver using a 1/8" to rca adapter if your receiver doesn't have 1/8" input.

Elkethus

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
thanks sorry just saw I typed that 2 time lol thank you. Btw is there any icc profile for this monitor I feel is to white a little.

apis

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
Can this monitor use on dvi-d and have 144hz or we must only use dp to have 144hz.
I dont have hdmi port on my graphic card only mini dp and dvi-d.

Aug 8, 2019
I just purchased the MAG241CR version yesterday and very happy with the performance and quality of the visual I'm getting, I used the review from this site as the testing was very through which helped with my decision to getting it, the only thing I can see that's different between my version and what tomhardware tested is is the USB connection to the pc which has pass-through for another device, mystic lights feature and the adjustable stand (height and screen angle) which is surprisingly heavy which means a stable platform for the screen, the USB connection is used for adjusting the screen settings on the pc or app on an android phone on the fly (which needs to be connected to the pc via wifi with software already installed for it to work).
So thanks for doing such a very nice job on testing the screen in your review and will be keeping an eye out for more quality reviews.