[SOLVED] MSI Optix MAG271CQR - color banding issue

Oct 21, 2019
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a MAG271CQR for about 472USD from a local store. However after a few days of work I noticed it has color banding. The monitor is running firmware 11. The banding is very noticeable in dimmer images and videos and across all colors.

I contacted the store and they gave me the option of a refund.

However, I do like the monitor quite a bit except for this issue. My question is, is there a way to fix this? Or if I do go for a refund what monitors are in this category that I can replace it with?

My requirements are

VA Panel (or IPS, not TN though)
1440P
144Hz
freesync compatible

Thank you!

Solution
I'm using this monitor too. The color banding looks less while the black is at level 9. But this time the details are closing. If you set the black level to 10, this time it's too much. These two settings had to be more balanced. Maybe you can get more optimal results by playing with gamma settings. Also color banding is seen in 6 8 bit ones. If you can find a 10 bit screen it will probably be less.
There is also a problem with this monitor. I'm using a DP cable. If you turn off the monitor and turn it on after a while, no image appears. You need to reset the system completely.
Unfortunately it doesn't work well in Freesync. In most solutions they say turn it off. I'm using FW.007. But I don't want to send the monitor in case something...
Oct 21, 2019
if u get color banding on all colors, see if your color mode is matching your monitor
options are RGB full/limited, Ycbcr 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0
radeon has it in display -> pixel format
nvidia has it at change resolution -> output color format / dynamic range

Thanks for the reply. Yes tweaked all the settings and no difference. Of course when I meant all colors I was talking about the low bright part of each spectrum if that makes sense. Brighter colors have no banding.

I am currently looking at ASUS TUF VH27AQ as a replacement. More expensive but decent quality I think?

Nov 27, 2019
I'm using this monitor too. The color banding looks less while the black is at level 9. But this time the details are closing. If you set the black level to 10, this time it's too much. These two settings had to be more balanced. Maybe you can get more optimal results by playing with gamma settings. Also color banding is seen in 6 8 bit ones. If you can find a 10 bit screen it will probably be less.
There is also a problem with this monitor. I'm using a DP cable. If you turn off the monitor and turn it on after a while, no image appears. You need to reset the system completely.
Unfortunately it doesn't work well in Freesync. In most solutions they say turn it off. I'm using FW.007. But I don't want to send the monitor in case something changes.

Solution