Question MSI or ASUS for GPU ?

May 15, 2023
Hello everyone!

I would like to know if you have an ASUS or MSI graphics card, If you have had any problems (such as coil whine), because I am hesitating between one brand and another.

Which one has more quality for you? How about customer service?

I'm torn between MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO or ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 4080

Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Prior to my current GPU, the last 3 were from Asus and I never had any problems with them. AS such I can't comment on customer service as I never needed to use it.

Given MSI got hacked and people have the private keys that sign BIOS and Driver versions, I don't think I would get an MSI GPU right now.

There isn't much difference between them, the MSI is slightly faster = link

Might come down to which looks better.

Last edited:

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
My last card was an Asus Tuff 3080 12gig and despite all the BS that's going on with Asus atm that card was well built and solid! My current 4090 is the MSI Gaming X Trio and it's also working great so far. So my bet would be to get which ever one is cheapest and start gaming!

Edit: Also coil whine isn't as much a brand problem as it is a general fan problem. It can and does happen to all manufacturers I've personally only experienced it once or twice in the 23 years I've been buying GPU's. (Since the AGP days)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2838871

I had coil whine with my 3090 FE... I have none with my Gigabyte Aero 4090.

FzrH03M.jpg

plznpZq.jpg

One of the only white cards out there... goes well with the black case and white light... supported by the Force.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
I had coil whine with my 3090 FE... I have none with my Gigabyte Aero 4090.

FzrH03M.jpg

plznpZq.jpg

One of the only white cards out there... goes well with the black case and white light... supported by the Force.
Yeah, but coil whine is more about the individual card itself than the brand or type. I've gotta admit though, being supported by the force doesn't hurt... ;) (y)

I hate both brands when it comes to RMA's or even help with a part or anything, Asus gives you a walk around and tries to push known problems under the rug and unless you are famous youtuber, MSI is probably far worse as they just out right ignore you and your emails, took me 4 weeks of sending support tickets and emails, what got me threw was calling them and demanding to speak with someone of authority to replace a motherboard that had a dead m.2 slot.

Asus is a little better, I try to avoid them personally, I've had many issues with my Zenith threadripper board, an a x99 board, and a 5700xt Strix.

Asus does have better products than MSI in my opinion, just built better if they work, and because of that, I hardly ever use MSI, I do have a MSI B550 board I'm planning to build a little server out of, it felt solid, but never actually used it yet, but never really owned many products from MSI to say for sure, but my first RMA wasn't great with them.

I buy MSI for team green and Sapphire for the red team.

I never buy anything from Asus for myself.
I've had Albatron, XFX, Palit, Gigabyte, Sapphire and ATi Reference cards. Except for a single XFX card, they all worked just fine. I forgive XFX for my RX 5700 XT because it was the sixth XFX card that I had owned up to that point and never had a problem with the previous five. You can't get perfection all the time I guess. ;)

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Is coil whine caused by the fans or the cards themselves?

EVGA seems to indicate its the cards - https://www.evga.com/support/faq/FAQdetails.aspx?faqid=59535

It's usually caused by the bearings of the electric motor having some defect from the factory OR an imbalance somewhere, could be the fans or something internal with the motor that's imbalanced causing the noise. Think of an electric ceiling fan... as it ages and gets dirty or worn out it starts wobbling or making noises.

Keep in mind some blower types on graphics cards are just louder then others by design. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them but people will find a reason to complain about anything..

Colif

Win 11 Master
Coil whine is simply the vibration of the coil in an inductor as the power passes through it. On a high end graphics card, ten or more large inductors would help provide power to critical components on the card.

This vibration is similar to running a damp finger around the rim of a wine glass. Every inductor in every electronic device has some coil whine, but the vast majority of inductors whine well outside the hearing range of humans. On occasion, an inductor coil vibrates at a frequency in the range our ear can detect. This is particularly common if your card is processing 3D frames at a high rate, 100 FPS+. Coil whine can be particularly prevalent when in a game menu and no FPS cap or V-sync is enabled. You may notice greatly reduced coil when when enabling V-sync as a result.

The combination of hardware components in your system can also affect the amount of coil whine you experience. Different motherboards and power supplies tend to have biggest affect, but adding or removing other components can also change the degree of the coil whine heard.

that is from the EVGA link. It has nothing to do with the fans.