MSI P6N SLI Platinum OR ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus

robucf4

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
, I have narrowed my search down to these 2 boards. I plan on getting an e6420 and OC'ing to 3.2 ish. Which would you go with? MSI is about 20 bucks less than the Asus. I have some experience with the P5N-E SLI, so I assume the Asus is just the big brother of that board and I can hopefully be up and running rather quickly. The MSI just seems to be more stable and offers solid performance from the benchmarks I have seen, 20 bucks less, and better cooling for the NB and SB. The Asus does have more features and is 650i+570 as opposed to MSI's 650+430.

Choice?

What you are asking is MSI or ASUS the better choice. Strictly a matter of preference, but having built at least a dozen of each company's products, I would choose the ASUS over the MSI. I have RMA'd to MSI many times and got mixed results, but overall their RMA service is good.. I have never RMA'd to ASUS and I currently have five different boards running every day. I'm sure other have had just as good of an experience with MSI. I have three or four MSI boards I keep as spare's to back up my ASUS boards. One MSI Nf3 Platinum running every day.

robucf4

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Well it kind of goes beyond personal preference, which is the better board? For example, in the reviews I read, they all seem to mention how hot the NB&SB get on the ASUS, which hampers OC'ing, as compared to other mobo's with the same chipset (650).

dougle

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
I'm building a new computer also. I'm going w/ the MSI P6N Platinum board. A lot of people here will slam the MSI boards because of the past performances, but the reviews I've seen on MSI 650i boards have been good. I agree w/ the previous post....Asus is said to run hotter. MSI is supposed to run cooler on the north bridge. I liked that. I don't want to have to get into special heat sinks. It is said to overclock fairly well but not as good as Gigabyte or Asus. P6N boards are reportedly very stable and make for an easy install. Go to MSI web page, in their forums, most people sound pretty happy.