MSI P965-Platinum Problem

eusy

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Hey ;) Hope some1 can help me here.

I have a problem with my newly bought motherboard. I bought a new PC recently and started to put it together this night. When i had everything assembled the fans on the cpu and on the gfx card was spinning up fast but then lost rpm and finally the pc shut itself down. The HD made some ticking sounds also. I´ve tried to take everyting out but the cpu+fan and it still did the same thing ;( i switched a new PSU in and still same result. The bios is making no noises what so ever.

PSU: Be Quite 650W
CPU: E6300
GFX: Asus x1950xtx

Hope to get some help or opinions on what this could be. If you need more about the specs let me know.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
How far does it go before shutting down? Past BIOS? Into Windows? Can you get into BIOS?

Also, do you have a SATA or IDE hard drive. Those ticking noises could be from the jumpers incorrectly set and it can't recognize the drive. You can still get into BIOS without a hard drive though, so it all depends when your system is shutting down.

Does it beep at you at all too? If so, long or short beeps? Continuous or off/on?

eusy

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
It wont let me into BIOS, i get nowhere, theres no connection at all to the screen with gfx in it. No sounds from BIOS at all. I tried unplugging everything except CPU+fan and still nothing.

Kept the power sw and speakers ofcourse.

Thanks in advance /Tue

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
New RAM? Is it seated tightly?

Vid card seated tightly?

All the cables properly connected to mobo? Additional 4/6 pin connected to mobo?

Did you use the standoffs between the mobo and the mobo tray (so it didn't fry)?

If it's not the PSU, then the usual suspects would be something incorrectly seated, wires not/improperly connected, bad RAM, mobo defect/fried.

Also, follow this thread....I know it's a different mobo, but same principles still apply, it might help....problem sounds similar:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/E6300-System-wont-boot-ftopict214450.html

msiboard

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
hello

i had a tickling sound problem besides many other problems
with the MSI mabo P965 with sound Realtek High Definition Driver
too.

i updated to Bios 1.2 and the sound driver too.

then my problmens were solved with sound

here some links
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=745&kind=1

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID=745&kind=1

they got an automatic update,

just have a look there,

hope that helps you, watch out have a 3.5 disk ready if doing so.
Bios might be tricky, you should know what to do then...

hope all works for you, good luck

fred

EricT

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Plug in the USB module with the 4 LED's that comes with the mobo. The LED's will light up in different combinations of green and red to indicate the error cdodes. Then you can use the chart in the manual to figure out where it is hanging up in the startup sequence.

That's how I figured out I was having a memory issue with mine, it wouldn't boot at all, nothing on the screen, and I had no idea where to start looking until I hooked up the LED module.