MSI P965 Platinum vs. GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3

UPnP

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
What are the main advantages/disadvantages in comparing these two boards? I want to build a new system around Windows Vista Home Premium early next year for productivity and some gaming. It's unlikely that I will overclock - I'll drop in 2gb of pc5400 or 6400 ram with the Intel e6600 cpu, and a 8800 GTS video card. Which board is better for me? I've read around this forum that MSI isn't the most reliable of brands. However the MSI got good scores in the recent Tom's Hardware mobo shootout article as an editor's choice. The DS3 is supposed to be a great OC board, but as I said, I may not OC at all. What do you all think?

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
You need to decide now, before you buy your RAM, whether you're gonna overclock or not. If not, then get the cheapest RAM and mobo. If you are, then you need to get stuff that's quality and can handle OC'ing, plain and simple. I've not heard much about the MSI around here, nobody seems to be using it much. But everyone is using the DS3 and with great results. I'm using the S3 (same OC'ing ability) and as you can see in my sig, my results are fantastic. Only MSI board I owned was a piece of $H!T but that was a few years ago.

If OC'ing, I'd suggest going with the proven winner, and then you're guaranteed results. The MSI might be better, but you won't know until after you get it, so you roll the dice.

If not OC'ing, get the affordable stuff.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
What are the main advantages/disadvantages in comparing these two boards? I want to build a new system around Windows Vista Home Premium early next year for productivity and some gaming. It's unlikely that I will overclock - I'll drop in 2gb of pc5400 or 6400 ram with the Intel e6600 cpu, and a 8800 GTS video card. Which board is better for me? I've read around this forum that MSI isn't the most reliable of brands. However the MSI got good scores in the recent Tom's Hardware mobo shootout article as an editor's choice. The DS3 is supposed to be a great OC board, but as I said, I may not OC at all. What do you all think?
I think the DS3 is better from other posts read and this board has the new Solid Capacitors.