OnyxDragon

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
OK guys i am at a loss i got a MSI p965 neo mother board with a C2D 6400 and i cant get the darn thing too see the IDE hard drive it will find the CD and start to run windows install but no hard drives show up plz help me

OnyxDragon

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
ok guys i got it to install windows some how not sure how since bios does not see the HDD or CD rom but they work i cant get any other cds to boot other than the windows cdrom help me out here guys how do i get the bios to see the cdrom and HDD

OnyxDragon

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
On-Board IDE

One Ultra DMA 66/100/133 IDE controller integrated in JMicron JMB361
• Supports PIO, Bus Master operation modes
• Can connect up to 2 Ultra ATA 133 drives

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
On-Board IDE

One Ultra DMA 66/100/133 IDE controller integrated in JMicron JMB361
• Supports PIO, Bus Master operation modes
• Can connect up to 2 Ultra ATA 133 drives

I just got done reading a thread, in which the problem was that the cd drive would only show up in PIO mode and not DMA. To my amazement the Bios had to be updated to ver 1.2 to get the DMA to work. The board was a MSI 965 platinum. That kind of slop from MSI is seriously disconcerting. Try the BIOS update. Good luck

link http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/DVD-Read-Maxing-E6600-ftopict216818.html

OnyxDragon

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
well i tried updating the bios. the problem is that the whole computer worked before the bios update even though the cd and HDD were not showing up in the bios. strange i know but it boots and runs and all .with bios up date nothing has changed it still doent see them in the bios but the puter boots and all but i cant get any bootable cds to run on other than windows lol its weird > and it is gonna drive me up a wall

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
well i tried updating the bios. the problem is that the whole computer worked before the bios update even though the cd and HDD were not showing up in the bios. strange i know but it boots and runs and all .with bios up date nothing has changed it still doent see them in the bios but the puter boots and all but i cant get any bootable cds to run on other than windows lol its weird > and it is gonna drive me up a wall

I am not really familiar with the 965 boards, mpilchfamily might be right about buying a SATA drive. The IDE (PATA) seems to be an afterthought on the 965 vs the 975 boards. Years ago I actually was able to get someone on the phone at MSI to answer a quick question, You might try calling them to get an answer.

IDE drives will never show up in the BIOS of any motherboard with the P965. This is not a design flaw on MSI's part because the P965 does not natively support IDE drives.

Instead, the JMicron is used as the IDE controller. Since it is seperate from the P965, it is not part of the P965's BIOS. If you want to blame someone, then blame Intel.

Motherboards based on the 975x chipset supports 4 IDE drives, but the 975x chipset only natively support 2 IDE drives. The other two IDE drives are controlled by the JMicron IDE controller. In this case you would see only two IDE drives in the BIOS. All secondary IDE drives connected to the JMicron IDE controller will not show up in the BIOS. Instead, they will be detected during boot up after the BIOS is loaded.

TRENDING THREADS