[SOLVED] Msi pcie socket broke, is the second one as fast?

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
I have an msi M3 H170 . Yesterday while doing some cable management I had to pull the geforce card, unfortunately it's the whole socket that went off with the graphic card!!!
There is a line of pins but I don't know if something broke. So now I am using the geforce on the 2nd pcie slot (not sli) and from the fps count it looks like a pcie x16 performance just like the broken one. On the MSI website it's stated pcie x16: 2. But in the pdf they only say it becomes pcie x4 when using the 1st slot, no words of pcie x16 when using it without the 1st slot.
So is it pcie x16 or not?

Solution
most of the time the second pcie is x8, even if the first pcie is unused. this likely doesn't matter at all, especially depending on what GPU you have. most GPUs, even higher end ones, don't use up anywhere near the bandwidth of pcie x16 and will run just fine at x8. if your performance doesn't seem to have changed then i wouldn't worry about it being in the lower slot

dvo

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
most of the time the second pcie is x8, even if the first pcie is unused. this likely doesn't matter at all, especially depending on what GPU you have. most GPUs, even higher end ones, don't use up anywhere near the bandwidth of pcie x16 and will run just fine at x8. if your performance doesn't seem to have changed then i wouldn't worry about it being in the lower slot

Solution