Question MSI Pro Z690 A and I7 12700K, bios/Windows wont stop boost to 4.8.

Jul 29, 2022
So because of the factory settings with power settings in bios is kinda weird on the MSI Z690 A mobo i changed a lot of settings so it didnt get overpower on the different components to try to help the heating on some of the worst days here in South Spain.
plus i changed some settings in my power options settings in windows,
But some how i simply cant turn off my boost over the last two days i tried everything, like EVERYTHING!
After some days where i couldn't get it stop boosting even when i turned both XMP profile and OC profile etc off, i tried to F6 reset my bios back to factory settings! But low and behold, it was still boosting to 4.8 MHz even with no OC profile on in bios, and even when bios says its running 3.6 mhz.
I guess my question is, does power management settings in windows under system settings override bios settings? And even when i reset all my power management settings in Windows and put my power settings back to "Balanced" rather then high performance, its still maxing out at 4.8 Mhz.(not running 4.8 constantly but maxing out at 4.8)
Only way it don't go to 4 .8 is when i put it on energy save! ? I would by this point, think its some settings in windows that override it?
I have no MSI or other OC programs running in the background that would OC it. I don't even have any downloaded, i have no idea why it keep running as there is turbo boost on!

both HWMonitor and CPU-z etc says it goes to 4800, but bios says its 3.6 with no turboboost on!
What i tried so far to get it stop "turboboost"
Reset all power options back to windows standard.
Went over every single settings in bios 10-20 times, didnt find anything wrong, so i Reset Bios
Removed XMP profile to run rams with no XMP profile (some friend told me to try see if it worked with ram not being XMP boosted, cause then it was something about ram not working correctly or something)

Nothing worked so far, it keep run it as if there is Turbo boost on (even though their clearly isnt)

Any advice to what the problem could be?

Btw entire system is

Pro Z690 A
I7 12700K
2060S
16 gb Vengance extreme something.
M.2 disks
And 650 watts corsair bronze or silver.

So because of the factory settings with power settings in bios is kinda weird on the MSI Z690 A mobo i changed a lot of settings so it didnt get overpower on the different components to try to help the heating on some of the worst days here in South Spain.
plus i changed some settings in my power options settings in windows,
But some how i simply cant turn off my boost over the last two days i tried everything, like EVERYTHING!
After some days where i couldn't get it stop boosting even when i turned both XMP profile and OC profile etc off, i tried to F6 reset my bios back to factory settings! But low and behold, it was still boosting to 4.8 MHz even with no OC profile on in bios, and even when bios says its running 3.6 mhz.
I guess my question is, does power management settings in windows under system settings override bios settings? And even when i reset all my power management settings in Windows and put my power settings back to "Balanced" rather then high performance, its still maxing out at 4.8 Mhz.(not running 4.8 constantly but maxing out at 4.8)
Only way it don't go to 4 .8 is when i put it on energy save! ? I would by this point, think its some settings in windows that override it?
I have no MSI or other OC programs running in the background that would OC it. I don't even have any downloaded, i have no idea why it keep running as there is turbo boost on!

both HWMonitor and CPU-z etc says it goes to 4800, but bios says its 3.6 with no turboboost on!
What i tried so far to get it stop "turboboost"
Reset all power options back to windows standard.
Went over every single settings in bios 10-20 times, didnt find anything wrong, so i Reset Bios
Removed XMP profile to run rams with no XMP profile (some friend told me to try see if it worked with ram not being XMP boosted, cause then it was something about ram not working correctly or something)

Nothing worked so far, it keep run it as if there is Turbo boost on (even though their clearly isnt)

Any advice to what the problem could be?

Btw entire system is

Pro Z690 A
I7 12700K
2060S
16 gb Vengance extreme something.
M.2 disks
And 650 watts corsair bronze or silver.
You could lower the max turbo ratio below 4.8 on all cores so that you wont boosting to 4.8 on the p cores.

TRENDING THREADS