MSI R9 270x No Boot

Graham2020

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
Newly built MSI Z87 G45 system boots with onboard graphics but not with MSI R9 270x.
RM 750 PSU, I4770K, 2x4GB Corsair Venge pro. Win 7 Home Prem 64Bit.
MB latest bios v1.7, CM690 III Windowed case.
PCIE single plug to twin 6 plug power lead fitted.
Removed and reseated card.
Card fans running.
Tried VGA, HDMI and DVI conection to TV and Monitor.
No post with card fitted but posts OK with on onboard video
MB drivers and windows installed and work with onboard graphics

Any ideas what I have missed?

Checked on web not found or maybe understood solution for same problem that works for me so far.

Graham2020

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
Thanks for the links however already looked at those and system works without graphics card.

Only with gpu card fitted I just get black screen from both card and motherboard for all video outputs.

Is there a change required in the bios before installing the card to disable onboard or something.

I have also tried the vbios switch on the graphics card at both settings

Also is twin headed single pcie power lead adequate or do I need to use two fully separate leads

PSU tested via plug in tester and via separate older PC.

Yes, in the bios you set the order which the computer looks for graphics. But that doesn't explain why the integrated graphics fails as well. The separate power cables are only needed when you need to distribute the power draw among multiple 12 volt rails.
Move your monitor to the graphics card and set the graphics to the PCI EXPRESS x16 slot. It may help, but it sounds like a separate problem. Here is a video that shows you how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtDkczrf5fI

Graham2020

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
With card still in place started PC with vga adapter, cable and monitor taken from separate working system.

Machine appears to boot through to windows but with no display
Switching off via case power switch appears to be (based upon time and HDD lights) performing windows shut down from log in screen.

Switching back on and holding the del key down does not bring HDD lights on and switch off from this mode is immediate so though I cant see screen I am guessing motherboard is posting to bios screen or windows as if there was a working GPU and screen image.

Removed graphics card and rebooted straight to windows and then rebooted into bios - both worked via Integrated Graphics Processor (IGP).
PCI boot preference set to PEG(PCIE?) then IGP - only alternative is direct to IGP. No option to completely disable IGP but IGP is disabled if boots to PCIE first. Spotted option multidisplay via GPU and IGP which was set to disabled. Bios is in Legacy + UEFI mode (other option being UEFI only)

Set multi display to enabled and checked that pc still boots via IGP, which it does and I am typing on it now.

Plan to refit graphics card tomorrow - with the plan to use bios to check via IGP multi display what is reported about GPU assuming still doesnt work straight off.

I suspect motherboard may be recognizing GPU card and thinking it is producing a display even though the monitor and/or TV cant see any output even from bios screen. No bios screen displayed makes me think its not a windows driver issue - assumption.

I will report back what bios thinks is in PCI-E2 slot if multimonitor plan works -

Next will try another CMOS reset (confirming via reset date - I didnt check date last time)
Then I was wondering whether to remove integrated graphics drivers in win device manager just in case these were interfering with GPU recognition in windows (not sure why this should affect boot though.

Apologies for the essay but trying to be methodical and detail steps I am taking before either giving up on card or hopefully if sorted leaving enough detail to help others.

Any other suggestions or comments on my plan welcome otherwise will report back on any progress.

PS Motherboard also been briefly tested with borrowed graphics card (not sure of make) in same slot and worked!
So if its a compatibility issue its between an MSI Gaming MB and MSI Gaming Card that were bought for improved compatibility.

Larsje

Honorable
May 21, 2013
Hey man, I had the same problem. I just used another graphics card to install drivers, and then put in my new graphics card. btw sorry if I said something obvious I didn't read everything

It looks like you are making progress. The common term "disable integrated graphics" is actually (as you found out) setting the order with which the motherboard looks for graphics. It is very much like setting the boot order for the drive where your OS is located.

Graham2020

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
Booting to multi monitor didn't help or resetting CMOS can't even get into bios with card installed.

Returned to shop who tested and confirmed faulty and suggested msi gtx760 gaming instead as they have fewer returns. Card replaced with Gtx fitted, booted up and drivers installed all within 30mins. So problem solved and PC working and on soak.

Just curious but does the shops comment on relative reliability of AMD vs nvidia ring true specifically R9 270x vs GTX 760.

Thanks to those who gave the time to help.