MSI r9 280x compatibility question

maysim

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
My friend owns the MSI R9 280x (v277-057) and he wants to get a cooling block in order to not have his pc crash playing PUBG. He looked into the option of getting the HG10 A1 Corsair adapter, and buying the CPU cooling block for the adapter. We noticed that the next generation r9 290x is compatible but not the 280x. Will this be a major issue?

I think your friend is trying to apply a questionable solution to solve the wrong problem.

I'm playing PUBG with a 280X, it works fine. If it's crashing there's clearly a problem, but how do you know that a cooling block is the right solution?
On top of that, a 280X sits somewhere between a RX 560 and RX 570 performance wise, spending significant money on a water cooling block for what is now an entry level gaming card is not a great way to spend money.

Is your friend monitoring temps while gaming (in AMD Catalyst, Afterburner or HW Monitor)?
Are you sure temps are the issue?
If they are, check the cooler for dust buildup and check the GPU fans are actually working. The cooling solution on the card should work just fine, there's no need to put in on water.

If the temps are okay, then obviously a water block won't make any difference whatsoever.

maysim

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
He knows the gpu temps are the problem with MSI Afterburner, he has poor air flow and a fan that requires manual start every now and then. Even with the fans working 100% he still over heats

TRENDING THREADS