MSI R9 280X on a 530W powerupply?

For a system using a single Radeon R9 280X graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 600 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 42 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I see a lot of recommendations but,

What cpu do you have? That also has an impact.A for instance intel i5 will use les power than a fx 8320.As already stated will overclocking have an impact too.

I think it should be able to handle things depending on the quality of the unit.At hardwaresecrets is a review of the 630watt version and they were quite positive about it.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-Smart-630-W-Power-Supply-Review/1481
if this says anything about the 530watt version imo you should be fine.

The other thing to do is returning/changing it for another,but i don't know if that's possible.