MSI r9 290x BSOD 124

Tokke89

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Hi, im kinda new to forums but i need some information about my PC built.

two weeks ago i bought myself a MSI r9 290x Gaming and tried everything to got it running. (drivers bios update etc). it says its bsod error 124 wich it a hardware failure. my old gpu works just fine (radeon hd 7850).

now the weird part. ive tried this card in three differend pc's from some friends and it gives the same error. now i RMA'd the card and got a new MSI r9 290x (the firm tested the card and said it was faulty) and this one it also giving me this same error. the error occurs only when doing things like, starting up a game it crashes almost immediatly, when surfing on the internet is also crashes. (like when downloading Directx driver of streaming youtube)

the error code does not appear when i disable the card or when i boot it into safe mode.

does anyone know what i can do?
my specs are:
CPUcooler: tt Spin Q VT
GPU: MSI r9 290x 4GB gaming
CPU: AMD FX-8530
Housing: Tt Commander MS-I bk ATX
MB: MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) 760G RGVSM
HDD: 500GB
RAM: D3 8GB 1600-11 DragonRAM K2 GEI
PSU: Coolermaster B700watt

what ive noticed is that my MB and the MB's of my friends do not have a PCIe 3.0 but we all have a PCIE 2.0, could this be the problem im facing? of could it be another faulty card?

Solution
Like Tokke89 told your Motheboard is problem here.1st it does not support FX 8350 it is 125 W TDP CPU and your mobo supports max 95 W TDP.2nd 760g chipset is rly old and have lots of problems when you want to add new hardware plus your mobo is lowest tier you can get.So you need new mobo if you want your system to work like it should.If you gonna buy new mobo go with ASUS OR GIGABYTE.
Another faulty card,
(or)
Try this, it might work.
First of all you need to TOTALLY remove all the old drivers. Use this link.
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/
Note:
Select the respective company(i.e Nvidia or ATI) drivers to be uninstalled.
Use clean and restart option.
And then install the new drivers after rebooting.

If it doesn't work RMA it again and get a different brand or a GTX 970.

Tokke89

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
will do. thanks for the reply! what about the pcie 2.0 slots? it should'nt matter? i should also mention that with the first defect card i did a complete reinstall of the OS. shouldnt that clear out the driver issue?

tnx for the respons

Tokke89

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
alright, so the second card wich I rma'd back has not shown the bluescreen error at the firm, so they do not want to trade it with another card. now I just found the .dmp files on my computer and was wondering if anyone could maybe understand what it means.

I should mention my pc is not showing any bluescreen errors with my radeon HD 7850. It only gives the error with the MSI r9 290x gaming in normal windows mode and with the drivers installed.

here are the dump files:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6muw1h9sdm7nr0/120614-19281-01.zip?dl=0

thanks for the help

greetings Tom Lameir from Holland

Tokke89

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
For anyone whos wondering the problem is solved by buying a new motherboard. an Asrock fatal1ty killer 990fx. Somehow the r9 290 does not work with a 700/800 series chipset.

The weird part however is if i email the problem to AMD or MSI tech support they claim that it cannot be the older motherboards that are causing the problem. Anyway, solution is buying an newer motherboard with an 900 series chipset was the solution for me.

st3v30

Admirable
Like Tokke89 told your Motheboard is problem here.1st it does not support FX 8350 it is 125 W TDP CPU and your mobo supports max 95 W TDP.2nd 760g chipset is rly old and have lots of problems when you want to add new hardware plus your mobo is lowest tier you can get.So you need new mobo if you want your system to work like it should.If you gonna buy new mobo go with ASUS OR GIGABYTE.

Solution