TarikS

Commendable
Apr 12, 2020
Hi guys and girls,
I am planning on upgrading my rx 460 to an MSI R9 390 GAMING card. But I have a question. On my PSU I have a 6 pin connector and 2 molex connectors. I do not have an 8 pin. So I was wondering if I could buy a molex to 8 pin converter and use that. Buying a new PSU is out of my budget because I am a student and I do not wanna ask my parents for money. Can you guys anwser as soon as possible.
Thank you all!

Solution
The psu is some rhombu tech atx650hm but so far I had no problems with it. It has a big fan.

I would not proceed with your planned upgrade if you do not upgrade the PSU.

The size of the fan says nothing about the quality at all, and a quick search on Google indicates that even the fan is probably of questionable quality.

I wouldn't even use the PSU with your current setup, but pushing it even more with your planned upgrade would be very risky, in my opinion

A 650 watt PSU with only one 6-pin connector does make me question the quality or the age of the PSU
Although you haven't provided much info about your current PSU, it is usually recommended not to use any kind of power adaptors for graphics cards.

If the PSU doesn't have the neccessary connectors for the hardware, it is often a strong indication that the PSU is old, has inadecquate performance, or is one of poor quality - all are important reasons to upgrade the PSU to one of good quality and meets the power requirements of the system it will be installed in.

Why would you buy a new graphics card and run the risk that it can potentially be damaged by the PSU? That would put you in a worse situation than you are now, at least you have a working PC

TarikS

Commendable
Apr 12, 2020
R9 390 is a beefy card, it takes lots of power. List the PSU and system spec first.
The psu is some rhombu tech atx650hm but so far I had no problems with it. It has a big fan.
CPU: FX-4300 planning to upgrade to 8300, 8320 or 8350
Ram: 8gb ddr3
Motherboard is a gigabyte am3+ Ultradurable, I have a pic that will be uploaded. Do not know the specific model
And 500gb HDD

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/650-Watt-Rhombutech-HM-650-Non-Modular_949751.html here is the PSU

I would not proceed with your planned upgrade if you do not upgrade the PSU.

The size of the fan says nothing about the quality at all, and a quick search on Google indicates that even the fan is probably of questionable quality.

I wouldn't even use the PSU with your current setup, but pushing it even more with your planned upgrade would be very risky, in my opinion

A 650 watt PSU with only one 6-pin connector does make me question the quality or the age of the PSU

Reactions: JerT and TarikS
Solution

TRENDING THREADS