MSI R9 390 keeps shutting down under load

Nov 5, 2018
So I recently upgraded my PC a bit, threw in an SSD (which is great) and bought a pre-owned R9 390. The guy I got it from had no issues with it. To be on the safe side, I also replaced my OCZ 600W PSU with a Corsair AX850. The card runs fine under normal use, but as soon as I load up a level in a game, such as Battlefield 1 or Furmark, the card powers down, the audio stops, the screen says "no input" and I have to reboot the PC. This happens within seconds of loading a level in Battlefield 1.

It happens only when I put load on the card. I noticed the incidence rate reduces massively when I use MSI Afterburner to limit the power to -20%. Interestingly, doing the same thing in Wattman does not seem to help.

I am running the following setup:

• ■ AMD - Phenom II X6 1090T Black 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
    ■ ASRock - 880G Pro3 ATX AM3 Motherboard
    ■ Kingston - HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
    ■ Corsair - Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    ■ ADATA - Ultimate SU800 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    ■ 4× HDD
    ■ MSI - Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card
    ■ Corsair AX850 PSU (also tested with OCZ ModXStream 600W)
    ■ Windows 10

I also have a HWinfo64 log, where I ran a Furmark test and it crashed. Note the 12v rail is absolutely constant at 12.355. I was initially looking at the PSU since dialing back the power seemed to help, but it seems fine. It's also worthy noting the lights on the GPU actually go out, but it's also the only component in the system that shuts down. Everything else keeps running.

You can view the log file here.

I'm absolutely lost as to where to look next.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
Well, since you tested with 2 separate PSUs, it's obviously not a PSU issue. There's a pair of tests you can do:

1) Replace the 390 with the prior GPU. If it works, then the R9 390 has gone bad. If it doesn't work go to #2.
2) If the old GPU doesn't work either, test them in a friend's PC. If both work, the PCIe slot in your board is definitely bad.

If you can't get the old GPU to work on your system, and the R9 390 doesn't work in a friend's PC, then you have both a bad PCIe slot & a bad 390.

Nov 5, 2018
Well that's the thing, I tested with a GTX 1050 and that worked fine. I also tested the R9 390 in a friend's PC and that worked fine too. The previous owner also reported he ran BF and Arma without issues.

So I don't understand what's going on at all.

Is there a known conflict between my 880G Pro3 and the R9 390? I had to update the BIOS to the 1.53 beta version or the system wouldn't boot up at all. Is it possible my motherboard has some kind of undocumented compatibility issue with this card?