MSI Radeon R9-290X Lightning PCB Spotted

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewayitsmeanttobegrilled.jpg

Man, we need an update to that one with AMD, hahaha.

Cheers!

xroe

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

Not going to lie, that's the pro-est thing I have ever seen.

xroe

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Ok guys after talking to a guy behind an ally he confirmed that the card uses that much power to power a hidden flux capacitor. Apparently this aim of this card is to use it to travel back in time three years and show off the card. He himself stated that this would be purely for bragging rights before calling me a punk and urinating on my shoes.

dnw1962

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Did anyone think of the possibility that maybe it is one board for two different cards. A 290 with a 6 and an 8 pin connector or a 290X with two 8 pin connectors.

xiinc37

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Apparently AMD didn't get the message that this is a device for making mathematical calculations quickly, not an internal combustion engine or an apparatus for cooking food. A computer component should operate at room temperature, ideally. Realistically, a few dozen C of leeway is ok. But if a component operates at a significantly -higher than room temp- temperature (or requires a significantly lower temp to work properly), something is VERY wrong.

Hah!!!!

That's good. Strange thing though, a friend of mine at my old job told me something interesting. The owner decided to bitcoin/litecoin and had 2 R9-290s running and they were only pushing 81-85c each. I was surprised but I guess it must depend on ambient and air flow.

I can't wait to see the AiB ones as I know they will be way better.

eldragon0

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

You sir/ma'am get a +1 interwebs for the day. That's very possible HOWEVER I'm looking forward to it being a 2x8 1x6 because my psu has 6x6+2's on it and the power to back it. Not that I want the board to require 450w each, just that they have the ability, hell maybe the 8 or the 6 will be an "optional" plug that we don't even need.

oxiide

Distinguished
I don't think it will be that hard to power this card, the hard part will be figuring out how to dispose of your spent fuel rods. #radiation poisoning #yolo

eldragon0

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

I'm not quite sure you follow how a computer works. Try running your computer without any heatsinks and tell me that it's going to run at room temp. AMD screwed the pooch with their reference. But what do you think they are going to do when we turn 95c into acceptable range for ocing with 450 watts running at 60-70c stock max load with an aftermarket cooler? I think upping the acceptable safe temp to 95c is a wonderful thing, not bad.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
It seems like they need to be worrying about more cooling than power.... Just my thoughts. I love the performance of those cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS