MSI Radeon R9 390 vs GTX 970?

G

MSI Radeon R9 390 Gaming 8GB GDDR5 VS EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Super SC w/ ACX 2.0 Cooler?

Which one should i pick? :)

And other question is: "dual-width x16 graphics slot 1x8-pin and 1x6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors" Mean i can use 6pin or do i need to use both a 8 pin + 6pin? :)

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
R9 390 benefits = More power

GTX 970 benefits = Efficient, useful features of Nvidia

So whilst the R9 390 is more powerful, the GTX 970 does come with good features like adaptive V-Sync, TXAA etc and is a lot more efficient. In your opinion, is the minor fps trade off worth it for the GTX 970's efficiency, drivers and features? Or is power the most important thing? That's up to you.

migronesien

Honorable
You will need the 8pin AND the 6pin.

Both cards should max out pretty much any game at 1080p.

It kind of comes down to personell preference. The 970 uses a bit less power, runs a few c cooler and OCs a bit better, while the 390 is a tiny bit faster stock. But the EVGA SSC edition (which you mentioned) should be faster from the beginning than the 390. Also you get to use Shadowplay if you want to record gameplay for some reason.

Id go for the 970. :)

G

So if my PSU have 6pin + 2pin i cant use it for a Strix 970 example? i mean, my PSU is this: http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/b-series/b600/

migronesien

Honorable

Yes, thats normal. Use both 6+2pin connectors from your PSU and just leave the not needed 2pin hanging thats normal and will work without any issues. :)

G

Thanks alot! :) But which 970 will be the best one to get then, im kinda new to all this PC upgrading? :D

nzrajput

Honorable
Jun 20, 2015

Choose either Asus's or Gigabyte's 970. MSI has a higher RMA value for 2015 than the other two mentioned brands.