Question MSI Raid Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnmiami6315

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018
I've been trying to get this to work by myself to no avail so I decided it's time to ask the pros.

I have an MSI B550 Carbon WIFI Motherboard, I have an M.2 Boot drive and two 1TB HDD's taken from different places. I've tried all the guides on setting up the raid volume which work but they all count on using the newly made raid volume as a boot drive which I don't want. If I make the storage controller RAID then my m.2 becomes inaccessible, it still shows up on the bios but it isn't seen by windows, but I need the controller to be raid so the raid volume can be used otherwise they show up as separate drives on windows.
View: https://imgur.com/a/sRIQPx8

To sum it up, I need to keep the m.2 as my boot drive while being able to use a raid0 volume from the two 1Tb HDD's but cant because msi is dumb.

Any help is appreciated!

johnmiami6315

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018
Once you've set the storage controller to RAID, after creating your RAID array, you will need to reinstall the OS on the M.2 drive. MSI isn't dumb, it's been like this for eons. More information here.
The reason I say MSI is dumb is because I had an asus z370-a prime before and they had a raid setup in bios that literally gave me a working raid volume in 5 minutes, so coming from that to a board that makes me reinstall my OS or it won’t work is really stupid. But thank you nonetheless, I’m pretty sure the drive showed up in the windows installer so close the thread once I double check.
Have a nice one

Aug 7, 2022
I understand i'm replying to a old thread, I'm in a similar situation, got a system up with 1 TB nvme, now want to attach 2 1TB SSD as raid 1 for redundancy, will it work straight forward or need to reinstall OS on nvme?

Status
Not open for further replies.