News MSI Raising GPU Prices Due to Tariffs Too

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Not sure what the point of raising prices on products that aren't for sale is. Outside of EVGA's sign up queue, has anyone gotten a card past launch day? Looking at nowinstock.com, most cards have never been in stock, and the most recent card that was in stock was mid November.

We're 4 months past launch. If they're continually being sent to retailers, and getting produced in the volume that Nvidia's quarterly results indicate, seriously, where are all these cards going?

Reactions: bigdragon
Not sure what the point of raising prices on products that aren't for sale is. Outside of EVGA's sign up queue, has anyone gotten a card past launch day? Looking at nowinstock.com, most cards have never been in stock, and the most recent card that was in stock was mid November.

We're 4 months past launch. If they're continually being sent to retailers, and getting produced in the volume that Nvidia's quarterly results indicate, seriously, where are all these cards going?
Microcenter saves lives, go there on a thursday morning when they open.
Microcenter said they had a 3090 so I went to check it out and there was a line of 30 people and they had enough 3080s for everyone. I didn't even know they had them, but that's because they don't post their stock online

Jim90

Distinguished
Clearly, there's been practically zero consumer stock produced from both AMD and Nvidia (some months now), and no, this is nothing to do with scalping - the volume on ebay etc obviously comes nowhere near even getting close to explaining this. For AMD, the primary reason is that those two console contracts are still some way from being filled - buying one is still extremely difficult. Nvidia are clearly busy selling original stock direct to miners. They have also, clearly, yet to ramp up that early-forced(thanks to AMD) Ti/Super variant production. A truly bizarre situation indeed. Meanwhile the PC enthusiast sector becomes that bit more...displeased!
AMD have done extremely well over the last few years, and seriously disrupted both CPU and GPU sectors. For that enthusiast sector there is, unfortunately, a clear and present risk that that all hard work in winning hearts and minds with their GPU's will be increasingly compromised if Nvidia release in volume first - and that would be a damn shame.

Last edited:

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I've noticed the same thing. GPUs don't appear to actually be making it into retail. I sometimes see a stock bot on Twitter or Discord report stock, but it's always immediately followed by people complaining that the product is out of stock -- we're talking fractions of a second of availability if it was ever actually available in the first place. A lot of stock bots haven't reported stock in a month or two. Zero notification emails either.

Nvidia keeps running contests to win a GPU, but I don't see anyone actually receiving a GPU from them either.

I think PC gaming is going to be in for a rough future if these stock and pricing issues aren't solved soon. I don't see people sticking with PC gaming when Newegg's deal of the day is a 2060 Super priced at $800. XBox and PS5 models do actually show up for sale at MSRP, and I know people who have them. The only person I know who has 30-series cards is the scalper at work.