MSI Refreshes GX Destroyer Laptops With AMD R9 M290X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigashadow

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
Oh, I get it! Another cracking joke about subpar 290x reference coolers! Excuse me while I strap my ribs back together after your sidesplittingly original take on this product.

ferooxidan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
this again, good gpu, garbage procie...the only hope for this laptop is only Mantle being adopted by all dev. A10-5750 is waay too old and sucks big time. Now if only Asrock Vision X series will implement this gpu or r9-M280X my life will be complete (somehow or another manage to work on the cooling solution).

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Given that kaveri is far superior CPU wise than richland, why didnt MSI wait for kaveri a10 mobile chips to come out, rather than using the old richland 5750m, which has already proven to be too weak to feed the 8970m, which is the same as the r290m.

xiinc37

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
M290X: AKA underclocked Pitcairn for the 3rd generation in a row. Whereas Nvidia's flagship laptop GPU is basically a desktop 680/770. It would be neat if AMD would create an underclocked Tahiti with castrated DP (less wattage) for their laptop flagship. Because currently we have what is basically a R9 270X going head to head with a GTX 770. It makes AMD look weaker than they really are, hence all the pro-green fanboyism. I guess high end laptop isn't profitable enough? I suppose it makes sense that they'd focus on APUs exclusively.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Given that kaveri is far superior CPU wise than richland, why didnt MSI wait for kaveri a10 mobile chips to come out, rather than using the old richland 5750m, which has already proven to be too weak to feed the 8970m, which is the same as the r290m.
It depends on title, but yeah Richland isn't great when paired with a strong GPU. The only thing these laptops have going for them is a strong GPU and a low price (relatively speaking). Games with Mantle support will do much better though, for what it's worth.Either way, I'm sure they'll have a product refresh when Kaveri mobile comes out. Hopefully on the power-limited mobile end they'll have clocks closer to Richland than their desktop counterparts. The only question I have: Can you use the embedded TrueAudio DSP in the APU, even when you're relying on discrete graphics (which lack TrueAudio) in a non-Crossfire scenario? For example, these same laptops with Kaveri dropped in.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I'd much rather get a GT60-2OD or GT60-2OC MSI laptop. more CPU horsepower with the option of upgrading the a 4940MX CPU down the road. Love the look of the backlit keyboard and the 12V fan I've heard is quite powerful.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
The 5750M is the top Richland model, but considering the awful performance of the previous model GX60 which uses the same processor coupled with the 7970M (the same graphics), there's no reason to believe this will perform any different.One has to wonder what MSI thinks it's doing here. It's practically the same product re-released a year later.

airplanegeek

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
M290X: AKA underclocked Pitcairn for the 3rd generation in a row. Whereas Nvidia's flagship laptop GPU is basically a desktop 680/770. It would be neat if AMD would create an underclocked Tahiti with castrated DP (less wattage) for their laptop flagship. Because currently we have what is basically a R9 270X going head to head with a GTX 770. It makes AMD look weaker than they really are, hence all the pro-green fanboyism. I guess high end laptop isn't profitable enough? I suppose it makes sense that they'd focus on APUs exclusively.
Actually the 780M is based off a GTX 670 and its just slightly more powerful than the 670

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
nice laptop like always but the problem is would have a hard time playing future games like Watch Dogs with that processor

xiinc37

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

Nope. 780M is fully unlocked GK104. I believe you are thinking of the 680M, which was a desktop 670 (later replaced by the 680MX, which was a desktop 680).

airplanegeek

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012

While it is full, the clock speeds and memory speeds are lowered a lot. So they actually perform like a OC'd 670

alextheblue

Distinguished
I believe that's 2.5 GHZ not 3.5 GHZ. there have a been a lot of misprints from websites.
Actually it says "clocked up to" 3.5Ghz, which is technically accurate. The base clock is 2.5, but the chip will turbo up to 3.5, and will probably reach and sustain high clocks more often than a model leaning on the integrated graphics. Especially given that this is Richland and not Trinity. But yes, it would be better for them to state the base clocks too.

Oh, there is one other selling point for these laptops. They use Atheros-powered E2200 Killer NICs. They actually do aid reliability and performance a bit vs an el cheapo solution, even if it's perhaps mostly due to QoS type enhancements.

sjc1017

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Why don't they just stick a new mobile i3 or i5 in this and charge whatever the difference is? Would the new AMD processors really make such a difference to this, they aren't much better in single core performance anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.