News MSI Reportedly Plans Graphics Card Price Increases Due to Ongoing GPU Shortage

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
MSI thinking:

After all, Asus did it.
Why shouldn't I do it?
I think they are thinking more along the line of why should scalpers be making more off our cards than we are? Perfectly reasonable question. Considering how few people are able to buy from retailers, this won't affect the end user prices. People aren't going to pay any more on Ebay because a middle man raised prices for the scalpers.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Considering how few people are able to buy from retailers, this won't affect the end user prices. People aren't going to pay any more on Ebay because a middle man raised prices for the scalpers.
Oh yes, they will. Retailers, etailers and scalpers will reflect the manufacturer's price increase to the consumers. It's all win-win for everyone involved, except the end users.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
The incredible thing is that desktops with these cards are also all sold out. The only way to get one is finding a desktop that costs 4-5K if you can, because those are also selling out.

Unless It coin tanks for about 6 months, t bugs aren’t getting even a bit better.

I hope it tanks permanently but that’s just me.

Reactions: daworstplaya

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Oh yes, they will. Retailers, etailers and scalpers will reflect the manufacturer's price increase to the consumers. It's all win-win for everyone involved, except the end users.
Ebay reflects the current market value. If $800 cards are going for $1600, then $1600 is the upper limit the market is willing to pay. If MSI increases the price to $900, no one cares that scalpers are going to get $100 less, they aren't going to pay any more than $1600. The only way people are going to pay more than the current inflated prices is if cryptocurrency prices shoot up again.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Ebay reflects the current market value. If $800 cards are going for $1600, then $1600 is the upper limit the market is willing to pay. If MSI increases the price to $900, no one cares that scalpers are going to get $100 less, they aren't going to pay any more than $1600. The only way people are going to pay more than the current inflated prices is if cryptocurrency prices shoot up again.
Ebay is not the only etailer. Amazon, Best Buy, Microcenter... they'll all increase prices.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Normally I'd have some sort of angry and outraged reaction. Then I'd follow up about concerns over how this is going to affect PC gaming and future game development. Then cap it off with a mention of how the PC building hobby is being destroyed by GPU vendors.

Really though, normal gamers can't buy GPUs anymore. Even crappy low-end GPUs are gone. Go ahead MSI, ASUS, Zotac, and friends -- raise those prices. Double them actually. Seriously, do it. We're at the point now where you need a highly optimized bot on AWS just to have a chance to get a GPU, or you have to camp out at the local Microcenter the night before. Zero effort is being put towards matching GPUs with gamers, so if vendors are just going to keep dumping their products on Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, Microcenter, and so on, then jack up those prices to the extreme. The only people who would hurt from this action are the miners and scalpers.

Reactions: daworstplaya

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
The incredible thing is that desktops with these cards are also all sold out. The only way to get one is finding a desktop that costs 4-5K if you can, because those are also selling out.

Unless It coin tanks for about 6 months, t bugs aren’t getting even a bit better.

I hope it tanks permanently but that’s just me.

I'm with you man, I hope all this Cryptoservers and exchanges get permanent shut down. #EndThePonziScheme

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Correct. You didn't read my post. Normal humans can't buy cards from retailers any more. It's all bots. So the increased prices are only reducing the profit margins of scalpers.
Apparently you live in a cyber world where you think only bots can actually buy things. You (a flesh and bone human) can still buy parts from retailers, at increased prices by either scalpers or the retailer itself. A GPU that used to go for $150 might be sold for $200 because the manufacturer decided to go on a greedy spree... and the retailer will reflect the price.

Reactions: Matt_ogu812

Matt_ogu812

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
I'd settle for a 2060 to replace my 1050Ti if I could find one.
But noting going to pay scalper price at the present moment.
I'll stick it out with the 1050Ti for now.