MSI Responds to GTX 660 Ti, 670 Power Edition Overvolting

Status
Not open for further replies.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I like MSI too. If this defect affects less then 50% of those who buy one, more power to MSI. For the other ones, MSI has to honor their warranty.
I buy MSI knowing there is a chance the hardware could go bad. MSI kinda has a history of doing this to cards.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
[citation][nom]boyabunda[/nom]8850 > 660ti 8870 > 670[/citation]
So what your saying is that the next generation beats the current generation. OMGWTF mind blown!!! You sir deserve a medal for comparing next gen to current gen.

Dec 2, 2011
Meh, I trust MSI. They aren't my favorite mobo manufacturer, but I don't think they are shady. If they stand behind the card why should anyone else give a damn?

EvanConway

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Overvolting will shorten the lifespan of any electrical component. I'll be hesitant to buy MSI in the future with this underhanded behavior.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]I prefer Sapphire. Hong Kong FTW[/citation]

I'm sure they make great cards, but alas I realize that electronics are bound to fail, and with that in mind, I shop based on Customer Service, whether I have to pay money to RMA (aside from shipping) etc. And in that regard Sapphire is a fail.

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
So, in other words... ST FU Tom's, we are doing what we want, and thats not your bussines. Thats why I hate MSI, I owned 2 GPUs with fans dead in less than a year and a mobo with dead in just a couple of months of use. Never going to get anything from them again. Good luck with that 3 years warranty, the people that buys those cards will need it, it's a pain in the butt that processes, never worked for me.

As bad as this is at least their build quality is still higher than reference model cards and a lot less likely to fail compared to reference that have weak inductors. Don't believe me then just do a google search "gtx6xx" coil noise or coil squeal. Lack of overclocking on many alone is enough for old school users to avoid these cards that do prefer to have cards that can manage more than a meager 30mhz. Why spend $500 on a 680 that can't even make it more than 30mhz over stock? As for the 660 up through to 670ti the coil inductors are the cause of a lot of troubles for many owners. As for AMD cards don't buy XFX or HIS so to avoid their cards that have the same problems.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
to be honest, I'll like to have all these quality GPU with quality components, but most of them DO NOT come with radial fan that push hot air out.

athlondude

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I understand Nvidia's concern on the matter, but if MSI is backing their cards with a 3 year warranty, does it really matter? I have owned 4 graphics cards by MSI and never had one issue, I say as leave them the hell alone unless they stop honoring the warranty or an issue develops.

biggiebody

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
3 year warranty, I'm not to worried about my 670 PE, because I have a feeling by the time the warranty runs out, I'll have a new card and probably sold this one.

I had purchased a 660ti powered edition not the OC one off newegg. I found off principle because I had just purchased it to return it. The idea that there could be an issue with it was enough cause for me to return it. When you put uncertainty with your product out there and your caught red handed you have to deal with the consequences. Now I realize it could of been Nvidia's fault because they put strict limits to what you can overclock but I think this is for a reason for the main consumer not to screw around to much and damage there card. Cheating is cheating wrong is wrong no matter how you spin it. Whether one party was right and one was wrong its wrong. I switched up to a Gigabyte 670. Hope both parties learned there lesson.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]As for the 660 up through to 670ti the coil inductors are the cause of a lot of troubles for many owners. As for AMD cards don't buy XFX or HIS so to avoid their cards that have the same problems.[/citation]I've got an XFX 4850 in one box that's still running strong.[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]to be honest, I'll like to have all these quality GPU with quality components, but most of them DO NOT come with radial fan that push hot air out.[/citation]It is harder to find a card that pushes all the hot air out of the case. But think about. On a modern mid to high-end card (two slot card in particular), having a single narrow out-the-case exit is less than ideal, for the GPU itself at least. So while it does introduce some undesireable heat into the case, the GPU is cooled more efficiently and with less noise by blowing air out both sides.

If you tested a high-end card that forced all the hot air out of the case via that one slot on the back, it would be louder and/or run hotter than the dual-exit competition. For somewhat lower-end cards that don't produce much heat to begin with it doesn't really matter much. Either way if you build a box carefully you can easily handle even the hottest GPUs.

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
i have always been impres by the performance and quality of MSI, their twin forze series is the way companys are supposed to make their cards. I dont really trust their statement about not reducing life time in the video card, overclocking reduce life spawn of anything. But if they use adecuate cooling and good capacitors for the overclock then it is possible. But using good cooling and good OC of quality in a GTX 660ti, should fire up the price almost to the price of the Gtx 670. If they manage to do this cards with good quality hardware and just be 20 usd more expensive than normal tis, then its a deal and a Sweet Spot. Only time will tell.

brucek2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
No one who's buying this kind of card needs it to last more than three years, at which point it'll long be "obsolete" (to this target market.) As long as MSI is willing to keep replacing cards as needed for the 3 year period (and has a process that can do it with acceptable downtime) then sounds fine to me.

G

"Our new production models with normal GPU Boost function will be on sale next month."

because you got caught?

Firion87

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
I had a 460GTX HAWK that beeped (like the bios) during video playback (some sort of bad firmware selecting different frequencies for it's 2D-3D profiles) send it back, got a brand new one within a week. Since then it worked 2 years without any trouble. MSI's ok from my point of view, there must be some errors in production and they replaced mine, so I'm fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.