MSI Reveals New GS63 Stealth Gaming Laptop With GTX 1050 Onboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I don't know if a 1060 would fit the price target MSI has with this thing. Typically 1060 laptops are $1000+ (a conservative estimate). I do agree with you about better performance. This laptop would be more desirable if it were sporting more hardware power.

I hesitate from buying a laptop like this because I feel like we're only a few months from a complete hardware revision. Replacing current generation technology with Coffee Lake and Nvidia Volta would make a whole world of difference. I would hate to drop of bunch of money on this thing and regret my decision by early 2018.

I don't mean to discourage someone from buying this thing. The hardware that's mentioned in this article is still very capable if you're not a serious gamer. The form-factor and weight are right too.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Well, I feel like it's a bit of a mismatch. An i5 would be a better pairing with a 1050, I think. And it'd help them even better target their price point. Meanwhile, I'd gladly pay another... $100, $150 for a 1060/i7 on board. All the other 1060 laptops I've seen recently have 4K screens, which is pointless. A 1060 can't push 4K on any slightly demanding game. If you have to pixel-double with the thing, may as well save the money and just equip it with a 1080p screen. But no one does.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I've noticed the trend of mismatched hardware. You mentioned like a SUPER HIGH RESOLUTION display paired with a 1060.

But I've also seen:

A $2000 HIGH END GAMING MONSTER MACHINE with a 128GB SSD + 1TB Hard Drive.
Or a $600 SUPER MODEST laptop with 32GB of ram.
Or a GTX 1080 paired with a 1080p display.

Not every laptop is guilty of these wild mismatches, but there are an upsetting number of them that are. Usually the engineers who design the specs for companies with MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc are really smart dudes. How is it that we get these weird pairings?

Status
Not open for further replies.