MSI Reveals Voice-Activated Motherboards at IDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

lp231

Splendid
Not interested if I have to say a full sentence just to turn on/off my computer.
Windows Vista/7 already has speech function where you can do basic commands like open media player, click start and so forth.

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Oh YAY!!... a new way to troll.

poweroffmsi.jpg

Rizlla

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Voice activated things never work that great. You always have to say the commend over and over. This is not a feature I would use.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
wait till it learn more phrases like 'overclock', 'shut off cpu fan', 'format hard drives' and things will get pretty interesting

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
You mean I get to say a long phrase to power the computer now instead of an instant push of the power button? Awesome!

G

@jtt283

no the correct response for a motherboard would be
"im afraid i cant do that Dave"

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
[citation][nom]murdoc[/nom]You mean I get to say a long phrase to power the computer now instead of an instant push of the power button? Awesome![/citation]

Agreed.
Before card: Press button to turn on.
After Card: Sit down and position mic. Clear throat. Say oddly long phrase and hope system understands.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Since I already named all my PCs at home, it will be very cool and showoff to my friends when I can say something like, "Release the Kraken" to turn on and off a pc of mine.

Haha, I'm ready to pay $50 for it as long as it works most of the time.

G

New entry for a malicious virus. You download some music, video or game and when played out from your speaker comes "Power Off MSI Big Bang" and down goes your machine!

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
LOL @ the "new way to troll"

This is a cool idea, but I just don't see it being super useful. The thing is newer versions of Windows already have voice controls built in. So the "open control panel" etc. seems like a moot point. So the only new thing this is really offering is the ability to turn on your computer with voice.

Which brings me to my second point. The power saving features in newer versions of Windows make it so I (and probably most people) never even shut my system off anymore. I simply let it go to sleep. Maybe there is a "wake up" voice command?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]user_ace[/nom]How long before I can say "computer, scan the planet for Z-particles"?[/citation]
You can do that already, it just won't find any Z-particles

Don't forget to ask for tea, Earl Gray, hot

The computer won't make the tea either, but maybe your Mum will, while she is there, tell her to make you a sammich!

saint_craig

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Oh Great This is just one step closer to what we need.

HAL, Please open the POD Bay door.
I'm Sorry I'm afraid I can't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.