Question MSI RTX 2060 SUPER REACHING 85C TEMP; CPU 60C

Feb 6, 2020
Hello guys!

I just built my rig a few weeks ago and its my first one with mid range specs. I just want to ask if my cpu/gpu is safe with the mentioned temperature? Been playing DMC, 5 AC Unity (all at max graphics) and didn't tweak fan speeds. My room temperature ranges from 30-40% without AC if that helps.

Been thinking of liquid coolers but don't want the risks associated with it. Thank you.

CPU: Ryzen 3800x
GPU: MSI rtx 2060 super
MoBo: MSI x570
Case: DeepCool Matrexx 55
PSU: Seasonic 620 watts
RAM: 16x2 Corsair vengeance

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Your GPU will be thermal throttling at that temperature so you will be losing some potential peak performance too.
It is too hot really and should be running lower.

Some improved case ventilation around the GPU's fans and exhaust mesh will help dissipate the heat.

If you take the side of your PC case off and run that game what sort of temperature do you get?
If it is considerably lower than 85c then that indicates the card is cooling properly and it is a ventilation issue.
You can increase your GPU fan curve to a more aggressive one using MSI Afterburner to help cool it better.

Andy

Feb 6, 2020
Your GPU will be thermal throttling at that temperature so you will be losing some potential peak performance too.

Some improved case ventilation around the GPU's fans and exhaust mesh will help dissipate the heat.

If you take the side of your PC case off and run that game what sort of temperature do you get?
If it is considerably lower than 85c then that indicates the card is cooling properly and it is a ventilation issue.
You can increase your GPU fan curve to a more aggressive one using MSI Afterburner to help cool it better.

Andy

Thanks for the reply bro! I'll try to remove the side case once I get home. BTW, I tried installing the MSI Afterburner and saw that my fan speed is on "Auto" and going 100% when playing games. Should I fix it to 100% or leave it alone to auto?

Another question, I played FF XV all max in settings except only 100% on texture and got around 80% temperature a -5C lower compared to my last temperature check. Is this now normal temperature? Or what is normal range btw?

Feb 6, 2020

Andy

I tried removing the side case and the temperature lowered by about 5% bro. My case is DeepCool Matrexx 55.

Feb 6, 2020
80s is warm. The fact that you're seeing fans going to 100% on auto probably means your graphics card isn't getting enough cool air and is trying to cope but is having a hard time staying cool.

What's your suggestion sir? I live in a tropical country so the room temperature is usually high. I'm thinking of using liquid coolers but don't want to take risk. lol

Try a table fan blowing into your computer like this:

pccooling4.jpg

Reactions: jhonchris321
Kidding aside, I really tried this except with side case on. It lowered my temperature for about 5C lol

No, I wasn't kidding! My brother used to have a fan like that near his computer to keep it cool. But you have to take the side panel off to let the cool air in. Yes, it could be just a temporary solution, but you are fighting high ambient room temps which is the main problem. 30c in your room is quite hot, 40c is very hot! Your GPU fan already goes to 100% so it can't get any faster. Your GPU needs a better cooler, otherwise all you can do is remove the side panel and/or use an air conditioner.

Feb 6, 2020
Mine has a big 3 slot 3 fans cooler.
Its the Asus Strix OC 2080 Ti.
Yours is 3 fans?

My ambient temp is also cold because I am in Canada.

Mine only have two stock fans (MSI 2060 Super - Ventus). Gues I'll contemplate on having liquid coolers.

Oh, I get it. Your ambient temp is waaaaay cooler than my room even with AC on max settings. Btw, I'm from Philippines.

Feb 6, 2020
No, I wasn't kidding! My brother used to have a fan like that near his computer to keep it cool. But you have to take the side panel off to let the cool air in. Yes, it could be just a temporary solution, but you are fighting high ambient room temps which is the main problem. 30c in your room is quite hot, 40c is very hot! Your GPU fan already goes to 100% so it can't get any faster. Your GPU needs a better cooler, otherwise all you can do is remove the side panel and/or use an air conditioner.

Oh, sorry I thought you're kidding because I can imagine how fast dusts will accumulate in your rig. I'll do that I guess for the time being while contemplating on liquid coolers because sadly, even with AC my GPU temp still peaks at 83C.

Doing some checking. Something like this might be worth a shot.

https://www.newegg.com/vantec-sp-fc70-bl-pci-slot-case-cooler/p/N82E16835888112

Will take a slot on your case, but it appears the idea is to place it under your GPU with these fans running, trying to force cool air directly into the graphics card. Can't say how much this will reduce temps, but sounds like for your case every little bit will help.

Feb 6, 2020
Doing some checking. Something like this might be worth a shot.

https://www.newegg.com/vantec-sp-fc70-bl-pci-slot-case-cooler/p/N82E16835888112

Will take a slot on your case, but it appears the idea is to place it under your GPU with these fans running, trying to force cool air directly into the graphics card. Can't say how much this will reduce temps, but sounds like for your case every little bit will help.

Thanks for this bro! Will definitely try this.

mineforce

Prominent
Oct 13, 2019
Hello guys!

I just built my rig a few weeks ago and its my first one with mid range specs. I just want to ask if my cpu/gpu is safe with the mentioned temperature? Been playing DMC, 5 AC Unity (all at max graphics) and didn't tweak fan speeds. My room temperature ranges from 30-40% without AC if that helps.

Been thinking of liquid coolers but don't want the risks associated with it. Thank you.

CPU: Ryzen 3800x
GPU: MSI rtx 2060 super
MoBo: MSI x570
Case: DeepCool Matrexx 55
PSU: Seasonic 620 watts
RAM: 16x2 Corsair vengeance
May I just mention, risks depends on what type of liquid cooler you're going for. If you are going for a custom loop, then yes there is a risk since you have to do pretty much everything yourself. However, if you buy an AIO (All In One) liquid cooler, this is 100% risk-free, the water is already injected in the loop when you buy it. All you need to do is mount it to your pc. There is simply no way you can Removed up an AIO install, assuming you don't intentionally destroy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 6, 2020
May I just mention, risks depends on what type of liquid cooler you're going for. If you are going for a custom loop, then yes there is a risk since you have to do pretty much everything yourself. However, if you buy an AIO (All In One) liquid cooler, this is 100% risk-free, the water is already injected in the loop when you buy it. All you need to do is mount it to your pc. There is simply no way you can Removed up an AIO install, assuming you don't intentionally destroy it.

I thought liquid coolers for gpu are all customized because i haven't seen one in stores here in our country bro, so that's what i'm referring to. Can I have a link for gpu AIO liquid coolers? The only AIO I saw is the rtx 2080 with pre-installed AIO. Sorry, I'm noob here LOL

Last edited by a moderator: