[SOLVED] MSI RTX 2070 Super Ventus OC coil whine randomly starts after a month of use

Jul 14, 2020
Ive had my MSI 2070 super ventus oc for a month now and havent heard a peep. Now suddenly as I start a LEGO game, it starts to coil whine and now does it for all my games. I've heard of it being an immediate out of the box thing, but is it starting after a month normal?

PC Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Ventus OC
RAM: G.Skill Trident z 3600
PSU: EVGA 1200 P2 (I know its overkill, long story)
MoBo: MSI X570 UNIFY
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Case: Corsair 760t Graphite

Last edited:
Solution
Sometimes the coil whine can be related to the PSU.

It's typically caused by vibrations in the inductors on GPU's as the current switches very frequently.

It's still covered under warranty, I'd just go RMA it straight away.

List your full PC spec.

There are lots of threads online with similar problems for 2070 owners.

Edit: Came across this on EVGA's website: https://forums.evga.com/How-common-is-coil-whine-on-the-RTX-2070-SUPER-m3004655.aspx
Sometimes the coil whine can be related to the PSU.

It's typically caused by vibrations in the inductors on GPU's as the current switches very frequently.

It's still covered under warranty, I'd just go RMA it straight away.

List your full PC spec.

There are lots of threads online with similar problems for 2070 owners.

Edit: Came across this on EVGA's website: https://forums.evga.com/How-common-is-coil-whine-on-the-RTX-2070-SUPER-m3004655.aspx

Solution
Yes, thanks. Seeing the specs we can judge what load the PSU is under, but as you've said it's way overkill :tearsofjoy:

The only real way to tell if it's PSU related is to swap it out with another. You could bring it to a local repair shop and get them to swap out the PSU if you don't have one. It might cost only 10-20$.

If that didn't work, I'd just contact MSI, RMA it and get another one. If they quibble about it, just say the noise is giving you headaches, and you want a replacement or refund. They'll send you a new one.

TRENDING THREADS