[SOLVED] MSI RTX 2080 TI Gaming X Trio - Games crashing

fidzyo1

Reputable
Dec 31, 2018
Hi guys,

I have made a new PC build, which is:
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti (MSI Gaming X TRIO)
SSD: Samsung 970 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 3600 C17 2x8GB
MBD: MSI MEG Z390 ACE (MS-7B12)
PSU: CORSAIR HX1200i (1200w)

Now everything was working fine. I have p[layed Battlefield V for like 3 hours and Final Fantasy XIV for like 2 hours. The games were perfect and everything was smooth.

Next day, the games started to crash the Final Fantasy XIV game gave me an error "DirectX fatal error" and the game crashes showing square artifacts (on the login screen - I wasn't even logged in). Battlefield V was launching and crashing (couldn't play at all).

I solved this by uninstalling the Nvidia drivers and making a clean installation, now everything seems to be working fine again.

My question is, Should I return this card? or just go along with it and hope it won't happen again?
Also, any idea what might have been the reason for the drivers going faulty?! I mean, I installed the same version again and it is working fine.

Solution
I would observe how it behaves for a little while to see if it was a software issue, in which case isolated and you would keep it. Or, it is actually a hardware issue and you send it back. just keep an eye on it

fidzyo1

Reputable
Dec 31, 2018
Alright, thanks. I will keep watching.

I have noticed that the GPU is has increased its core clock for some reason. it reached around 1950 MHz, this is on a profile that does not allow any overclocking. Although, I have tried a little bit of overclocking earlier but did not change the voltage and the power limit at all in MSI Afterburner.

Should I be worried about this? I re installed MSI Afterburner, but it is still above the stock boost clock.

The temperatures are stable they didnt cross 73 C.

fidzyo1

Reputable
Dec 31, 2018
Well, the card has completely died today. Not even booting on it. I installed my older card ASUS Strix GTX1070, and everything is working fine.

Does this seem to be a common problem with the RTX 2080 Ti cards?

I have been giving an option by the retailer to either repair or return it? will repairing it be good or shall I just return and buy another one when they have stock availability?

DavidDisciple

Commendable
May 29, 2017

DavidDisciple

Commendable
May 29, 2017
You are not the only one that has a GTX 2080 ti that is crashing. There are many reports of this happening just like yours and they are usually within hours or 2-3 days later and it is not just the 'Founders Edition' either. Just Google 'gtx 2080 ti crashing' and you will see quite a few videos showing the card artifacting and crashing at stock speeds. It seems that the gddr6 memory is the issue. One tech demonstrated in his video that he underclocked the memory by 500 mhz. and it ran fine during benchmarking, but to buy a video card and have to underclock it out of the box is like buying a sports car and then have to have a governor put on the engine so you can't go as fast-it kind of defeats the purpose of why you bought it. You should return the card and NOT by that same card from that manufacturer. Some are saying that if you buy a new card, make sure it has Samsung memory and not Micron. At any rate, don't buy the same card, and yes absolutely DO return it-do not get it repaired! They may repair the card with the same defective components and ship it back to you or give you another identical one with the same defective components.

TRENDING THREADS