News MSI Russia Reduces Some GPU Warranties From 3 Years to 6 Months

Mar 9, 2021
It doesn't apply in my region anyways, but does it apply to existing products or newly purchased products since X date? I don't think they can unilaterally reduce my warrant for the price that I already paid.

drdccd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
of course they will reduce the warranty.. Mining effect. CRYPTOs not only affect other gamers they affect as well other customers.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
No surprise that they did that. I wonder if Nvidia or AMD may follow? Ironically I was just reading a thread on the Alienware forums where someone used their brand new Alienware Aurora for mining and three weeks later the computer hard crashes every 30 minutes. Hopefully that person made back all that money from mining they used to purchase the computer in the first place.

InvalidError

Titan
Ironically I was just reading a thread on the Alienware forums where someone used their brand new Alienware Aurora for mining and three weeks later the computer hard crashes every 30 minutes.
I've had my CPUs and GPUs at 100% load for years and never had any issues. I'd be thoroughly unimpressed by a presumably high-end system that fails after a few weeks of mining. Either a manufacturer cut corners they shouldn't have, there was a manufacturing defect or there is more to the story.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I've had my CPUs and GPUs at 100% load for years and never had any issues. I'd be thoroughly unimpressed by a presumably high-end system that fails after a few weeks of mining. Either a manufacturer cut corners they shouldn't have, there was a manufacturing defect or there is more to the story.
I can't say if there is more to the story as that is all the poster mentioned. However I did buy an Aurora R10 recently on sale and they are not the best at heat mgmt. So I would not try mining on an Alienware Aurora R series. Inside the case it's tight and cramped with just one exhaust fan for the AIO and a lower fan to blow air at the GPU.

You can't really blame them, when its mostly miners buying the cards currently.

I won't consider picking up a new graphics card with anything less than a three-year warranty though. I once bought a card with a one-year warranty back when that was still not unheard of (though two years was more common at that point) and it failed just a year and a few months later. At least if a card fails after more than three years it can be considered as an excuse to upgrade.