[SOLVED] MSI RX 5600 XT Gaming MX fans spins when booting and then stop when it reaches the desktop

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
Hi,

I have an MSI RX 5600 XT Gaming MX GPU. When I boot up the PC, the GPU fans start to spin and after it reaches the desktop, the GPU fans stop.

Also, the temp of the GPU is around 52 degrees celsius. Openhardwaremonitor and GPU Z temp screenshot: https://prnt.sc/wkuepr

Should I be worried?

Solution
its likely the initial spin up is part of POST and then once windows takes over the drivers set fans to 0rpm mode.

My RTX 2070 always at that temp but its not exactly same type of GPU. Its possible drivers have it set to stay at that temp and fans might spin if above it. ONly way my gpu goes below 50 is through turning up intake fan speed on my case

Colif

Win 11 Master
its likely the initial spin up is part of POST and then once windows takes over the drivers set fans to 0rpm mode.

My RTX 2070 always at that temp but its not exactly same type of GPU. Its possible drivers have it set to stay at that temp and fans might spin if above it. ONly way my gpu goes below 50 is through turning up intake fan speed on my case

Solution

mrblazito

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
I have MSI 5600 XT and it does spin up when booting up. Completely normal. I'm using MSI afterburner beta 4 to always run the fans at 35% while idling and set them to 80% when gaming. While doing light work the card temps are around 36-40C and below 65C at full load.

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015

Thanks, I installed MSI Afterburner and it says the Fan Speed control is in Auto. The fans do spin when I launch a game and stops spinning when it goes back to 50 Celsius.

Is 50 Celsius good for idle temp?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks, I installed MSI Afterburner and it says the Fan Speed control is in Auto. The fans do spin when I launch a game and stops spinning when it goes back to 50 Celsius.

Is 50 Celsius good for idle temp?
50C idle? Safe, but seems a bit warm. Small case? One fan? Warm environment?
My stock PowerColor RX 5600 XT is in an average-size mid tower case with front and rear fan and vented top. For comparison, It idles at 30C as per GPU-Z.

skykhan123

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
50C idle? Safe, but seems a bit warm. Small case? One fan? Warm environment?
My stock PowerColor RX 5600 XT is in an average-size mid tower case with front and rear fan and vented top. For comparison, It idles at 30C as per GPU-Z.

I'm living in a tropical country, and the place has no temp control. It gets chilly at dawn but I have not tried to see if the GPU's temp drops below 50C during dawn. I have 3 case fans, 2 front and 1 exhaust. Case is a mid-tower.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Guess I do have a 2070 super and looking online anything below 55 is good for them.
It depends on ambient as to what temps you get. This week I seen 46 to 47 most days, and it is summer in theory.
I have an AIO as intake so if I increase their fan speed I can reduce Gpu temperature pretty fast
Likely fans start above 50 anyway so it may never show higher than that.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I'm living in a tropical country, and the place has no temp control. It gets chilly at dawn but I have not tried to see if the GPU's temp drops below 50C during dawn. I have 3 case fans, 2 front and 1 exhaust. Case is a mid-tower.
Tropical country? Geeze, I'm jealous ;). I'm in the snowy, cold upper midwest US. But I digress...
The warmish idle may be the ambient temps where you're at. If so, not to worry unless load temps (which are more important) get too high. Adjusting the fan curve should fix that at the expense of possibly a little bit more fan noise.

Colif

Win 11 Master
try at night time, about 5am, though depends on average temps at night too. I am in Australia and most nights in summer its around 15 to 20c (this year is cooler than normal, i got cpu down to 28 overnight) so it should at least drop a little at night. It obviously requires card to be idle and not in use :)