Question MSI RX 580 8 GB black screen issues

macmert1981

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Hello;

I own a 5 - 6 year old system with MSI Rx 580 8 GB; I used to play games fine but recently the card just stops working, fans blowing at max with black screen, the computer is running in the background fine (for instance Youtube runs fine in the background, I can hear the sound) and the PC requires a hard reset; sometimes it messes my drivers and require a full driver installation; I could not pinpoint to the issue however I'm suspecting it may be regarding the VRAM, especially when I run Warhammer 2 Total War, it instantly crashes to black screen, I've checked through task manager and it reaches up to 8 GB VRAM while running and PC instantly crashes...

I am hoping to upgrade to 3070 ti next week (complicated shipping) and if I somehow cannot get 3070 ti I may be stuck with my rx 580 and I wish to solve this issue, any and all opinions are appreciated; Thank you

My rig:

MSI B350 Tomahawk
Ryzen 1 1500
Thermaltake LitePower 650 PSU

PS: I've never done a BIOS update; otherwise the PC is up to date with Win 10

PS2: Also would my PSU handle 3070 ti? I'll not be running 4k gaming thou, the main reason for replacing my GPU is this issue, otherwise I MAY refrain from upgrading altogether; also I run 2 Asus monitors, one with 60 hertz and other 144 hertz, I don't know this could be the issue but I just wanted to add it as well

Thanks a lot!

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in your build?

Even if the PSU was brand new, I wouldn't swap into the RTX3070Ti unless you change your PSU to something built reliably and is from a reputable brand, other than Thermaltake.

macmert1981

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
How old is the PSU in your build?

Even if the PSU was brand new, I wouldn't swap into the RTX3070Ti unless you change your PSU to something built reliably and is from a reputable brand, other than Thermaltake.

It is also 5 or 6 years old, it was purchased when the PC was being assembled, so it is not coming from an older PC or something...

What would you recommend then? I am a bit rusty in terms of building PC so I'm open to suggestions,

Thanks a lot!