Question MSI RX 6600 causing PC to restart after shut down ?

erminnz

Commendable
Aug 9, 2021
Hello everyone.
So today I upgraded gpu from gigabyte gtx 1060 to msi rx 6600 mech x2 8gb. The problem is when I want to shut down pc it immediately turns back on after 3-4 secs.
If I put back the old gpu the PC works normally.

I came across internet to similar topics from people owning same gpu (msi mech x2, xt or non xt) and same mobo manufacturer, gigabyte. So far nobody found a solution, at least didnt post it in threads. It's pretty weird, seems like some incompatibility between that specific gpu and gigabyte motherboards.

So far I have:

• Updated bios to newest version and cleared cmos.
  • Freshly installed newest drivers after that.
  • I used DDU in safe mode to clear old nvidia drivers from system.
  • Did some tweaks in windows like turning off fast startup and changing some registry values,

Nothing did the thing.

I'm about to ask seller for gpu replacement for other brand but before that if anyone has any input on this it's very appreciated.
specs:

gigabyte Z590 ud ac
16gb ddr4
msi rx 6600 mech x2 8gb
psu seasonic 650w focus gx
ssd samsung 980 nvme 500gb

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 362816

I do see this issue across the internet and as you stated there does not seem to be a fix. At this point I would recommend to send it back and get a different brand.

Reactions: erminnz
Jun 1, 2022
Hello friend, sorry for my bad english, i had a same problem (gigabyte ds3h b560 + i5 11400f + 16gb ram + RX 6600xt Hellhound) but i fix it only using tape, covering 2 lanes of pci graphic (lane 5 and 6) and PC finally shut down!
nmeb9UZ_d.webp

Reactions: Yewline

erminnz

Commendable
Aug 9, 2021
Hello friend, sorry for my bad english, i had a same problem (gigabyte ds3h b560 + i5 11400f + 16gb ram + RX 6600xt Hellhound) but i fix it only using tape, covering 2 lanes of pci graphic (lane 5 and 6) and PC finally shut down!
nmeb9UZ_d.webp

I'm glad you solved it. I ended up getting another brand gpu, Sapphire Nitro RX 6600 XT, working normally pc shuts down. I hope your solution can be helpful to others

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022
nmeb9UZ_d.webp
I bought a 6600 MSI, a B560M DS3L V2 motherboard, and faced the same restart problem. How did you do what you did in the photo?

Reactions: Pokeflin
Jun 1, 2022
I bought a 6600 MSI, a B560M DS3L V2 motherboard, and faced the same restart problem. How did you do what you did in the photo?

I will try to explain well, I use google translator and only speak spanish:(
First step: remove graphic card and put in a table with the fans up.*Ref1
bO2Z9IP_d.webp

step two: cut a little piece of tape 2mm x 2cm approximately (0.07 x 0.8 inches) (necessary only for cover lane 5 and 6) *Ref2 (type of tape i used)
IPVb69V_d.webp

step three: put the tape in lane 5 and 6 in left side of graphic pci *Ref3

7HVgVuv_d.webp

nmeb9UZ_d.webp

(PUT TAPE ONLY IN LANE 5 AND 6 WITH THE SAME PIECE OF TAPE)

Reactions: Yewline
Jun 4, 2022
I will try to explain well, I use google translator and only speak spanish:(
First step: remove graphic card and put in a table with the fans up.*Ref1

Can you tell me what these pins are responsible for?
bO2Z9IP_d.webp

step two: cut a little piece of tape 2mm x 2cm approximately (0.07 x 0.8 inches) (necessary only for cover lane 5 and 6) *Ref2 (type of tape i used)
IPVb69V_d.webp

step three: put the tape in lane 5 and 6 in left side of graphic pci *Ref3

7HVgVuv_d.webp

nmeb9UZ_d.webp

(PUT TAPE ONLY IN LANE 5 AND 6 WITH THE SAME PIECE OF TAPE)

Jun 1, 2022
I'm just afraid to do it, because I don't really understand why to do it, and what this PIN is responsible for

It's a solution from then (gigabyte contact support team) LANE 5 AND 6 it's JTAG test clock signal and these JTAG diagnostic pins aren't in use during normal operation