MSI RX VEGA 64 Air Boost OC Hard Locking Under Load

shadowking1711

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
Hello

So I just got my Vega 64 not too long ago from my R9 Fury and I have noticed 2 problems, The first problem is that games would hard lock my pc under load more specifically when the core hits 72C and HBM hits 80C the second problem is that most of my games are being locked at 60FPS I have disabled V-sync and AMD frame limiter but the funny thing is if I try to change the frame rate in the game it doesn't change it stays at 60 even if I set the in-game frame rate lower than 60. my specs are as follows.

well, I'll just post the PC part Picker link and the specs.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tgZ8Hh

CPU: I7-7700k
My CPU is at Stock as well
MotherBoard: Asus - Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX
Memory:Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
SSD:Intel - 600p Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
HDD:Seagate - Momentus SpinPoint 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: MSI - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8GB Air Boost OC
GPU Bios: 016.001.001.000.000000 (https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/201941/201941)
GPU Driver: Adrenalin Edition 18.6.1
Case:Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case
PSU:Silverstone - 700W(750W MAX) 80+ Platinum Certified SFX-L

My Vega is underclocked
Core 1532/1662
Voltage:1025/1040

I have ran it at stock and it still hard locks my PC to the point were I have to press the power button in order to shut it down. I have Reinstalled my drivers (18.6.1) with DDU in safe mode as well.

Solution
AMD's Chill feature can limit frame rate. If Chill is enabled, expect frame rates to be lower than they otherwise would be.

Not sure why you're linking to a 3rd party provided BIOS file.

What MSI shows on their website should be the official specs. I would sooner consider the 3rd party site could to be incorrect or the BIOS could even be modified. The site also states that BIOS is unverified.

Cards without modified BIOS are sometimes unstable, more so I imagine for modified ones. If you've flashed a different BIOS to your card, hopefully you have the original backed up and can try that before deciding the card doesn't work.

The first step in troubleshooting is make sure your card is running as it was intended from the factory, so if...
If you run UNIGINE VALLEY and display the FPS then:
a) do you see above 60FPS?
b) does it freeze or not?

*note the right-side FPS etc is not accurate for Unigine Valley. You need to use FRAPS... preferably another tool like MSI Afterburner or whatever that can also display the GPU frequency, usage and other settings.

Run other benchmarks if possible like TIMESPY.

Other:
No idea why you'd be locked to 60FPS with VSYNC off... you disabled VSYNC in the game itself?

AMD Frame limiter?
I don't use AMD, but is it possible you have some GLOBAL option set somewhere that is capping things?

According to MSI, their Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB Air Boost OC only boosts up to 1,575 Mhz. If your core is running at 1,632 or 1,687 MHz, that is well over the factory boost settings.

According to a few web searches for Vega 64 stock GPU voltage, 1050 mv seems to be the base floor for the GPU voltage.

At first glance your card appears to be undervolted and heavily overclocked, unless I'm misunderstanding your numbers.

shadowking1711

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015

My bad about the clocks I fat fingered them in there but as for the 1662 boost clock that was in Wattman by default and I just increased the Volage to 1090/1100

see if you look at the bios you can see that 1662 is the stock base for the card.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/201941/201941

shadowking1711

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015

I also did look around in my driver settings and everything that applies to frame rate is unlocked and above 60 FPS I also looked around and saw other people had this problem as well that being said I have seen no way to fix it.

AMD's Chill feature can limit frame rate. If Chill is enabled, expect frame rates to be lower than they otherwise would be.

Not sure why you're linking to a 3rd party provided BIOS file.

What MSI shows on their website should be the official specs. I would sooner consider the 3rd party site could to be incorrect or the BIOS could even be modified. The site also states that BIOS is unverified.

Cards without modified BIOS are sometimes unstable, more so I imagine for modified ones. If you've flashed a different BIOS to your card, hopefully you have the original backed up and can try that before deciding the card doesn't work.

The first step in troubleshooting is make sure your card is running as it was intended from the factory, so if you've put a different card's BIOS on it, revert to the one it came with, or switch to the secondary BIOS, provided you haven't modified both. Most Vega cards have a dual BIOS option selected by a small switch on the edge of the card facing away from the motherboard. Power down the computer before you switch the BIOS selector switch on the GPU.

Looking at that BIOS file, I don't specifically see a temperature target for the graphics core, however down near the bottom I see a generic temperature target of 75°C which is close to your 72°C you suspect is the temperature your core hits when problems occur. If your system is hard locking, it could be locking before the temperature indicator you're looking at is updated to reflect the maximum temperature. The thermal throttle temperature for air cooled Vega cards is supposed to be 85°C, which I also don't see in the file, so the most likely answer is I don't know how to interpret that BIOS file for you in regards temperature.

Solution