MSI RX480 Stuttering

mobious33

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017
My MSI RX480 has been stuttering now for the last 4 months. I created a thread before similar to this but I was able to fix it but now, I just can no longer solve it.

I've identified that the issue is really from the GPU since I've tested it using two different computers. My issue is that it will not use more than 120 watts. I have disabled the ULPS in the registry (Searched for all of them, only found one). I've also set the power limit to +50% but it still won't draw more than 120 watts.

What happens is once it starts to reach 120 watts, it starts to throttle down. FPS drops and power usage as well.
I monitored the temps, the highest I read using MSI Afterburner was 62 degrees C. I thought that I might have a faulty temperature monitoring unit on my GPU so I maxed out the fan to test if it will draw more power, it still will not.

For my specs:
MSI RX480 Gaming X 8gb
i5-6600k overclocked to 4.4Ghz (I've tried returning it back to stock, doesn't affect the GPU)
CPU has a heatsink from coolermaster.
MSI z170 Gaming 5 MoBo
Previously used Corsair CS750 gold, now Seasonic 650 watts.
2x8gb DDR 3 ripjaws.
M.2 256 gb SSD
2 Tb Seagate HDD

This time, I made sure that the 6+2 pin power connector to the GPU isn't touching the glass panel.

mobious33

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017
I'm sorry for the delayed reply, I have used DDU several times to re-install and test out older versions of AMD crimson. I haven't upgraded anything in my computer. I only recently changed my power supply from corsair CS750 gold to seasonic 650 watts to test out what was causing the issue, then I identified that it was the GPU that had the problem.

I haven't updated any of my drivers recently, I will try that out and see if it helps.