Question MSI says graphics card failure. I do not believe them.

korvisus

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
bought a asrock rx5500 xt graphics card. some problems happened, which im going to copy and paste my email to asrock.

1: B450-M Asrock Steel Legend

2: Ryzen 7 2700X

3: pv416g320c6k 2x8 patriot viper 3200MHz

4: rx5600 xt (MSI)

5: Windows 10 Pro, fully updated

6: HDD - wd20ears-00mvwb0

SSD - Crucial M4-CT256M4SSD2

M.2 - Samsung 970EVOPlus

7: PSU: EVGA750 BQ 80+ bronze

8: Yeti Blue Nano microphone

9: KM-G12 Aukey keyboard

Problem: My almost brand new asrock graphics card is giving out randomly. It does not seem to be linked to activity or intensity of utilization. Sometimes it happens every 30 minutes, other times it goes an entire day without happening, with me at the computer or without me doing anything on the computer at the time when i have stepped away from it for a period of time. The HDMI output goes black, then flashes an indistinct old tv static snow image of artifacting, then goes back and forth for a moment, then there is no output to the monitor. I use this monitor for multiple devices, and sometimes change inputs when I move my ps4 from room to room, and it happens on multiple inputs, and the ps4 has no such problems. I have now removed radeon adrenalin, and uninstalled the graphics card, and reinstalled with only the driver, no adrenalin. In a last ditch effort to resolve the issue, after taking the computer entirely apart and putting it back together again to make sure everything there was 100% plugged in, was to reset the windows installation with a clean install. wiped all the drives, transfered what i wanted to keep to remote storage, and wiped it entirely. The problem was still not resolved.

I RMAd the asrock rx5500, got a replacement, same thing was happening. I got a return on the second asrock 5500, and thinking i was being slick and avoiding the issue entirely, got an MSI RX5600... same issue. It is clear to me that at this point it is not the GPU. I thought perhaps it was the PSU not being powerful enough, because it was a very old PSU, even though it was rated to handle it fine. so i upgrade the PSU. no dice.

That is a description of the problem and the steps i have taken to resolve it... but i just came upon an important new piece of evidence for the troubleshooting. turns out i can remote into the computer on my phone just fine, and go into device manager, and disable/enable to the graphics card, and bam, we are back in business. it is temporary, and will eventually have problems again.. but this method makes me think that the problem is indeed in the driver, or possibly with a driver conflict of some kind. If i had not used the monitor with other HDMI devices, i would think that it sounds like a problem with the monitor, but my ps4 never has these issues. possibly a setting on the tv could be problematic? I dunno. thats why im here guys. please halp!

korvisus

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
ive tried swapping hdmi cables after it shut off the display, and that did not work... but if it were the cable, then resetting the driver wouldnt resolve it, would it?

TRENDING THREADS