MSI Ships 17'' GX740 with Radeon 5870, Core i7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Not to shabby since it's a desktop replacement. If it was advertised as anything else... hah, good luck with that.

I love my MSI laptop... If i wasn't building computer this summer I would consider this :p

MrHectorEric

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
An Asus G73Jh-A1, has the same GPU and probably the same i7 version CPU, but has 8 GB DDR3, 1 TB storage, BlueRay drive, and 1920x1080 resolution, for $300 more. To me, while more expensive, the Asus is the better value.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Looks nice, just did not like the "NVidia GX" label so will not buy one.
Thought this was a new GX740 Nvidia video card article.

Own the Asus G73JH-X1 for several months now and very happy @$1500.
Replaced the samsung hd crap with 2x 128gb SSD in raid0 and love it.
Had issues upgrading from Win7 to XP64 SP2 drivers and all but works fine now.

stephen0983

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
looks like a winner. not sure why you'd want 1080p on such a small screen, guys. also that 5870m is the equivalent of a 5750 1gb or 5770 1gb, which is good for this resolution, probably not as good at 1080p.

as for blu-ray, powerdvd software is awful, i regret getting a blu-ray drive for my desktop.

the only comment i agree with here is why not a bit cheaper on the CPU? i too would like to save 50$ or 100$ on an i5. but then again the cpu is such a big selling point it doesn't surprise me to see an i7 here.

i'm def getting one of these for LAN parties. not sure when, probably before diablo 3 comes out.

G

If this a mobility radeon or a full fledged desktop radeon? I expect its a mobility radeon (ah la the Asus G73) but am disheartened that Toms often fails to distinguish between the two.

kuharski

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
I sure see alot of complaints. Who cares if you don't want it or don't like the prices, start your own laptop company.

babachoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

Because manufacturers often read the feedback given here to further develop and market their products. You have no idea how valuable honest and candid feedback is to them. And if everyone posted the same thing and just said "meh, looks decent", or said nothing at all, those manufacturers would lose their pulse on the market. I wouldn't expect you to understand this, much less know that companies base their products and prices based partly on what they read here, but take my word for it, they do.

kuharski

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Actually for some reason I hightly doubt they do to sites like this get info from a bunch a people like this when they can go to people in the actual industry that are up close with their customers, sites like hpinfolab.com, retailedge.intel.com, retailaccess.com provide much better infromation then a bunch of people that like to point out faults why they shouldn't buy something they can't even afford. Why I'm sure this is a source of info they use... it's very low on the list of actual usefull information. Most comments on Toms are way to extreme either this sucks or this is awesome. Considering most have not even experience the technology or even used it but relied on putting articles they read from the internet. So needless to say I don't take your work for it, most of the customer feedback I recieve at the company I work at is garbage, not cause I don't value it but cause it's useless. If this was an actual focus group and they product was offered free everyone would take it, the product is not bad cause it's 1399. That's very competative for what the market offers. Maybe they don't agree with it, but that's cause it affects their product. The computer market is so competitive that most retailers/online don't make any money on the front end of a PC/Laptop sale but make it back in vendor support in order to avoid controlable erossion and messing with the vendor prices. Apple is a perfect example of this and same with consoles too. People have a bad experience they tell 100 people, they have a good one and tell 1 person.

1pp1k10k4m1

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
[citation][nom]MrHectorEric[/nom]An Asus G73Jh-A1, has the same GPU and probably the same i7 version CPU, but has 8 GB DDR3, 1 TB storage, BlueRay drive, and 1920x1080 resolution, for $300 more. To me, while more expensive, the Asus is the better value.[/citation]

Much rather have the Asus. Anything less than 1920x1080 on a "desktop replacement" is sub-par. I don't have a monitor that runs anything less, and haven't for nearly 3 years. The extra money is well worth it.

1pp1k10k4m1

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
[citation][nom]stephen0983[/nom]looks like a winner. not sure why you'd want 1080p on such a small screen, guys. also that 5870m is the equivalent of a 5750 1gb or 5770 1gb, which is good for this resolution, probably not as good at 1080p.as for blu-ray, powerdvd software is awful, i regret getting a blu-ray drive for my desktop.the only comment i agree with here is why not a bit cheaper on the CPU? i too would like to save 50$ or 100$ on an i5. but then again the cpu is such a big selling point it doesn't surprise me to see an i7 here.i'm def getting one of these for LAN parties. not sure when, probably before diablo 3 comes out.[/citation]

For the same reason people want Skyline GT-Rs. More...in a smaller form factor. Its just people, and Tom's tends to have a lot of power users.

Why not try a different software? I believe Corel has a software, and several others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS